Switch to Intel

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Right now I have a Ph2 x4 955 in an Asus Crosshair V formula mobo. Should i try to sell these and get an intel mobo and an i7 2600k?

I was thinking i should since IVB seems like a monster and will supposedly work on current Intel boards. Also because BD flopped and PD probably wont help too much.

So any thoughts on if i should, and any mobo reccomendations if so?

Solution

In honesty, you have a decent system. Its up to you but there is no reason to move to SB just yet.

IB will be a nice bump, mainly in power draw and clock speed more than performance so if you do want to go with a Intel system I would go with a Gen3 Asus P8Z68 mobo (for the PCIe 3 support) and a low end Core i3 for now, especially since IB is to ship in late Q4 2011...

If you really want to you can but for now the 955 is still a good processor and it seems kind of a waste to dump it all for a processor that isn't even out yet.

Chad Boga

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009

Firstly I would caution you on expecting IVB to be a "monster", it will probably be the sort of improvement at best, that we saw with Penryn over Conroe, so if you start with an i7 2600K, then I doubt that IVB would make much sense as an upgrade.

If your current system does all that you want and need for the time being, I would advise you to wait and see what Haswell turns out to be.

In honesty, you have a decent system. Its up to you but there is no reason to move to SB just yet.

IB will be a nice bump, mainly in power draw and clock speed more than performance so if you do want to go with a Intel system I would go with a Gen3 Asus P8Z68 mobo (for the PCIe 3 support) and a low end Core i3 for now, especially since IB is to ship in late Q4 2011 (this quarter). Or just hold off until IB is out and get a decent Asus mobo (I honestly LOVE their UEFI BIOS).

Solution