Question Switch to iphone for apple car play ( From Galaxy s8+)

WWWouter

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Hi,

due to no support of android auto in my car ( and only apple car play - Belgium doesn't officially support android auto sadly ) i'm looking to replace my android device with an Iphone.
I daily use a samsung S8+. When i compare pure technical specs to the iphone xs it almost looks like i'm looking at the same phone.
Except the Battery capacity is a lot less in the iphone then in the S8+; will this affect the uptime a lot? AKA will i notice a big difference of the iphone not lasting until the end of the day.
One big difference is the quality of the screen Super amoled vs OLED (xs). Does the screen justify going for the xs / xs max? ( since the XR is lcd i fear i might notice a "downgrade").
Or is it better to go for the iphone 8 plus and wait for the 5g support in september 2020?

Thanks for the help!

The iPhone will probably have a slightly worse battery life than the 8+. You would also be losing your SD card slot.

Also, I would say the ecosystem is more closed off. All music will have to go through iTunes same with apps. It will be a slight learning curve. Not sure I would say it is worth just the car connectivity.

I have the XR personally and it’s been great. Is the best value iPhone on the market now. You lose the OLED screen, 3D Touch, zoom camera and thinner bezels and gain 0.3” screen size, better battery life, cheaper repairs if you need it and the choice of more colours (I have the red one and it’s a nice shade) and 250 more in your bank, though I’d spend the extra 50 on the 128gb XR.

Spec wise the iPhone is much more impressive than the Samsung line, much more powerful SoC, better camera, better memory management so you don’t need stupid amounts of RAM, better security etc.

The OLED iPhones have the best mobile screens on the market, forget marketing BS Samsung always muck up with colour calibration and resolution beyond “retina” doesn’t have much point in it, because let’s be honest who runs a 1440/4K Android phone at anything other than 1080p?

Overall if you want to switch the iPhone is a good option, faceID honestly is amazing I’ve just upgraded from an SE and it’s a million times better than a finger print scanner. However the s8 is still a good phone as long as you still get good, timely updates for it and you’re not waiting 18 months for the next version of Android, one I wouldn’t trade for the new S10.

Android is superior in almost every way instead of a new phone i would just get a bluetooth to fm transmitter for your phone.
Exactly how is android superior “in every way”. For a start it’s nowhere near as efficient and lacks features present in iOS for years plus You never get new a new OS close to launch, if your phone is 6 months old or newer because who cares about people

Exactly how is android superior “in every way”. For a start it’s nowhere near as efficient and lacks features present in iOS for years plus You never get new a new OS close to launch, if your phone is 6 months old or newer because who cares about people

The iPhone X was Apples way of catching up to Samsung first off. And features? Can you have two apps open at once on an iPhone and split screen them? Huh.

And my S9+ got Android Pie a year after its launch. So did my Note 8.

The iPhone X was Apples way of catching up to Samsung first off. And features? Can you have two apps open at once on an iPhone and split screen them? Huh.

And my S9+ got Android Pie a year after its launch. So did my Note 8.

On the plus models you can, or you could just get a tablet where the feature is actually useful.

You mean your current flagship got it. What about the S8 and S7. The iPhone 5s got iOS 12 and that was launched in 2013. That would be around the same time as the S4. What updates does that have again?

PS I checked it was lollipop which was released in 2014. Not bad support for a flagship phone that cost £100 more than the iPhone which is still supported today.

On the plus models you can, or you could just get a tablet where the feature is actually useful.

You mean your current flagship got it. What about the S8 and S7. The iPhone 5s got iOS 12 and that was launched in 2013. That would be around the same time as the S4. What updates does that have again?

PS I checked it was lollipop which was released in 2014. Not bad support for a flagship phone that cost £100 more than the iPhone which is still supported today.

Samsung had the split screen apps years ago, even before Android did it.

The 9+ is not the flagship, thats the 10+, soon to be 10 5G (BTW Apple wont have 5G for another year or so). The Note 8 is a two year old flagship.

S8 and S8+ will or have (depending on market) get Android 9.0.

The 5s is a useless phone as most carriers are going to start killing their old 3G and 1X networks (Verizon is doing so this year and will not allow a 5s to be activated on their network) and as time goes Apple slows it down.

While Apple has its share of "firsts" they are normally behind the curve.

Samsung had the split screen apps years ago, even before Android did it.

The 9+ is not the flagship, thats the 10+, soon to be 10 5G (BTW Apple wont have 5G for another year or so). The Note 8 is a two year old flagship.

S8 and S8+ will or have (depending on market) get Android 9.0.

The 5s is a useless phone as most carriers are going to start killing their old 3G and 1X networks (Verizon is doing so this year and will not allow a 5s to be activated on their network) and as time goes Apple slows it down.

While Apple has its share of "firsts" they are normally behind the curve.

iPads have had the feature for years, still was pointless on those until the pro came around.

Android pie was launched March 7th, the S10 was launched on the 8th.

5G won’t be widespread enough for a few years to be viable plus aren’t the phones supposed to cost well over a grand? Is 5G really worth the extra 20% when you have free WiFi in more places than 5G. Waiting for the new standard to be widespread is the better move, similar to what they did with LTE.

The 5S has 4G... and apple actually sped it up this year with iOS 12. Plus they won’t be killing off 3G when 4G is only around 80% coverage.

Generally when apple has a first no one can match it for years (FaceID for example) and generally when they’re “behind the curve” they come out with a similar feature an OS or 2 later and have the best version of the feature. A lot of android manufactures have the desire to be first, not for the thing to be practical. Look at Samsung’s in screen fingerprint reader that before the update had a success rate of around 20%, then hasn’t improved that much. Oh and it can be fooled by a fake printed fingerprint. Then you have it’s front facing camera which is abysmal from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:
iPads have had the feature for years, still was pointless on those until the pro came around.

Android pie was launched March 7th, the S10 was launched on the 8th.

5G won’t be widespread enough for a few years to be viable plus aren’t the phones supposed to cost well over a grand? Is 5G really worth the extra 20% when you have free WiFi in more places than 5G. Waiting for the new standard to be widespread is the better move, similar to what they did with LTE.

The 5S has 4G... and apple actually sped it up this year with iOS 12. Plus they won’t be killing off 3G when 4G is only around 80% coverage.

Generally when apple has a first no one can match it for years (FaceID for example) and generally when they’re “behind the curve” they come out with a similar feature an OS or 2 later and have the best version of the feature. A lot of android manufactures have the desire to be first, not for the thing to be practical. Look at Samsung’s in screen fingerprint reader that before the update had a success rate of around 20%, then hasn’t improved that much. Oh and it can be fooled by a fake printed fingerprint. Then you have it’s front facing camera which is abysmal from what I’ve seen.

Again Samsung was the first to deploy split screen. They have had it for a very long time.

The S10 is still the flagship phone until the S10 5G or Note 10 comes out.

Verizon is retiring their CDMA (3G) network. That means its going offline.

And FaceID is not that great either. It has been fooled in ways with pictures or people that look similar.

Again I am not saying Apple has not had their firsts but to proclaim others only catch up with them is a fallacy. And the best versions? Thats always debatable.

Again Samsung was the first to deploy split screen. They have had it for a very long time.

The S10 is still the flagship phone until the S10 5G or Note 10 comes out.

Verizon is retiring their CDMA (3G) network. That means its going offline.

And FaceID is not that great either. It has been fooled in ways with pictures or people that look similar.

Again I am not saying Apple has not had their firsts but to proclaim others only catch up with them is a fallacy. And the best versions? Thats always debatable.
Again, my point of people wanting “first” rather than “best”. Phones aren’t big enough for split screen to be worthwhile, the only function is for copying intro from one app to the next. On tablets it’s a decent feature but Samsung don’t really make competitive tablets.

When Pi launched the s9 was the flagship.

If you read it properly they’re shutting down the majority to keep a “thin layer” of 3G.

You mean like Qualcomm and Samsung are trying to keep up with their CPUs? How pretty much everyone jumps onto the bandwagon when apple does something?