Question Switched cases and now it wont turn on...been troubling shooting for hours please help!

staste4290

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I purchased a new case and switched my parts over. This is not the first time Ive built a computer and its something Im usually comfortable with but nothing like this has ever happened to me.

• There is no indication on the motherboard saying its getting power.
  • I did start my psu with a paperclip to make sure it works and it turned on.
  • I also have used a multimeter to make sure the current from the 24pin power spot and Power Switch pins on the motherboard has a complete circuit. (I dont really have any clue what Im doing with a multimeter other than seeing the number go up when a circuit is complete so any advice for how to use it or where to put it for a test could be helpful)
  • I've also replaced the 2032 motherboard battery.
So after all that I thought it must be the button on the new case so I removed the Power Switch from the motherboard and put a screwdriver on the pins to start it but it doesnt work.

So now I'm thinking my motherboard is broken, but Im not sure and I dont want to buy any parts until I know for sure what is broken. Also keep in mind the computer was working fine the day before, and Im certain the wall plug where I have it plugged in works too because I got the psu to turn on with the paperclip plugged into the same spot on the wall it is now. The next thing Im going to try tomorrow is using a different psu from another computer. (tomorrow because Ive been trying to get this thing to turn on for 6 hours now)

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Steven

Last edited:
I purchased a new case and switched my parts over. This is not the first time Ive built a computer and its something Im usually comfortable with but nothing like this has ever happened to me.

• There is no indication on the motherboard saying its getting power.
  • I did start my psu with a paperclip to make sure it works and it turned on.
  • I also have used a multimeter to make sure the current from the 24pin power spot and Power Switch pins on the motherboard has a complete circuit. (I dont really have any clue what Im doing with a multimeter other than seeing the number go up when a circuit is complete so any advice for how to use it or where to put it for a test could be helpful)
  • I've also replaced the 2032 motherboard battery.
So after all that I thought it must be the button on the new case so I removed the Power Switch from the motherboard and put a screwdriver on the pins to start it but it doesnt work.

So now I'm thinking my motherboard is broken, but Im not sure and I dont want to buy any parts until I know for sure what is broken. Also keep in mind the computer was working fine the day before, and Im certain the wall plug where I have it plugged in works too because I got the psu to turn on with the paperclip plugged into the same spot on the wall it is now. The next thing Im going to try tomorrow is using a different psu from another computer. (tomorrow because Ive been trying to get this thing to turn on for 6 hours now)

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Steven
Try without the case, breadboard it.