[SOLVED] Switched display adapter to GPU and Chrome flickers occasionally

datf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
My desktop runs an Intel i5-7600 with 16GB ram and an AMD R5 430 GPU. Previously, my monitor was plugged into the Intel motherboard using a VGA cable, connected to the Intel HD Graphics 630. Several days ago, I found a DP cable and thus switched the display connection to the AMD GPU. However, ever since doing so, I find that my Google Chrome flickers occasionally, meaning that it will turn black for a second before going back to normal. Sometimes, when I'm watching a video on Youtube, it would refresh after that flicker. Or if it's a video on Facebook, it would say after the flicker that the video cannot be played. I've updated the AMD driver using Driver Easy and I feel that the issue still happens, although less frequently than before. Can anyone enlighten me? Is there a fix, or is it that AMD R5 430 is worse than Intel HD Graphics 630 and I should switch back to using the Intel graphics card?

Last edited:
Solution
It's a Dell P2317H. By now I feel like it's probably a Chrome thing, since the flicker only happens in the Chrome window.
See if chrome has an update. You could also try using Brave browser, which is based on Chromium, but is privacy focused and removes a ton of google spying. If it has the same issue as Chrome it might still be a hardware issue, likely related to drivers.

https://brave.com/

datf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
make and model of the psu?
check gpu temp?

107805323-1210416955963894-5974306429162328219-n.jpg

The PSU model is shown above. The GPU temp hovers between 52 and 62 degrees celsius over a period of common usage for me.

DSzymborski

Titan
The PSU's lighter than I'd be comfortable with using any discrete GPU, but I don't think it's causing a problem. Though honestly, I wouldn't waste too much time and effort chasing this down; the R5 430 and the HD 630 graphics are fairly similar in performance.

If you're looking for a significant upgrade, you'll need to be a bit more ambitious than a slow, old OEM card and anything that's a significant upgrade will need a PSU with higher output.

datf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
The PSU's lighter than I'd be comfortable with using any discrete GPU, but I don't think it's causing a problem. Though honestly, I wouldn't waste too much time and effort chasing this down; the R5 430 and the HD 630 graphics are fairly similar in performance.

If you're looking for a significant upgrade, you'll need to be a bit more ambitious than a slow, old OEM card and anything that's a significant upgrade will need a PSU with higher output.

My desktop is a run-of-the-mill Dell Optiplex 7050, bought by my workplace. I don't think it's likely that they would pair an unusable GPU with the package? I'm not looking to upgrade (since I don't own the desktop), just wondering if the flickering issue can be solved, or should I just return to plugging the display into Intel HD Graphics? Naturally if they have a discrete GPU inside I would prefer to use that GPU instead of letting it go to waste.

Last edited:
My desktop is a run-of-the-mill Dell Optiplex 7050, bought by my workplace. I don't think it's likely that they would pair an usable GPU with the package? I'm not looking to upgrade (since I don't own the desktop), just wondering if the flickering issue can be solved, or should I just return to plugging the display into Intel HD Graphics? Naturally if they have a discrete GPU inside I would prefer to use that GPU instead of letting it go to waste.
You should just use the Intel HD 630 graphics you were using before. As was already stated, the R5 430 is basically the same performance as the HD 630. It's also just a rebranded very low end R7 240 from 2013. https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-r5-430-oem.c2893

Edit - Also, a performance upgrade using the same or less power would be an AMD RX 540/550 or GT 1030. The GT 1030 is close in performance compared to the RX 550, but uses around 15 watts less at 35watts and is a smaller single slot card design. The fastest GPU you could run without replacing the PSU is a 75watt GTX 1650 (non super) that doesn't require a PCIE cable for power.

Last edited:

datf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
Hi all, thanks for your replies. I plugged the DP cable to the Intel graphics card a few days ago, and realise that a similar issue occurs. I wrote a detail wrong in the first post of this thread. So let me clarify here:

I brought the desktop home from work because of COVID-19.
At work, I had 2 Dell monitors plugged in to the Intel graphics card, one DP, one VGA. No issues.
Brought desktop and one of the monitors home, plugged to the Intel graphics card with HDMI. No issues.
Three months later, took the DP cable home from work, plugged in to the AMD GPU, flickering issue on Chrome occurs.
Switched the DP cable from AMD GPU back to Intel graphics card. Flickering issue on Chrome still happens.

Now I'm just confused. The DP cable was the exact same cable I used at work with the same monitor and desktop but now there's an issue? Maybe it's not the issue with the AMD GPU after all but some internal driver or software issue? I don't know how to go about isolating the fault here.

Hi all, thanks for your replies. I plugged the DP cable to the Intel graphics card a few days ago, and realise that a similar issue occurs. I wrote a detail wrong in the first post of this thread. So let me clarify here:

I brought the desktop home from work because of COVID-19.
At work, I had 2 Dell monitors plugged in to the Intel graphics card, one DP, one VGA. No issues.
Brought desktop and one of the monitors home, plugged to the Intel graphics card with HDMI. No issues.
Three months later, took the DP cable home from work, plugged in to the AMD GPU, flickering issue on Chrome occurs.
Switched the DP cable from AMD GPU back to Intel graphics card. Flickering issue on Chrome still happens.

Now I'm just confused. The DP cable was the exact same cable I used at work with the same monitor and desktop but now there's an issue? Maybe it's not the issue with the AMD GPU after all but some internal driver or software issue? I don't know how to go about isolating the fault here.
You had two monitors, each using different display types. Was there any other reason for using VGA input on one of them? Did you take home the monitor using the DP cable or the VGA cable? I'm just thinking that maybe there was an issue with the DP input on the monitor using VGA input. It's also possible something happened to the DP cable that damaged it in some way.

datf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
You had two monitors, each using different display types. Was there any other reason for using VGA input on one of them? Did you take home the monitor using the DP cable or the VGA cable? I'm just thinking that maybe there was an issue with the DP input on the monitor using VGA input. It's also possible something happened to the DP cable that damaged it in some way.

I used the VGA and DP because I only had those two cables then. Right before I had to work from home, I bought a HDMI cable thinking I might want to plug my personal laptop into the work monitor sometimes, thus when I brought it home I used a HDMI for the desktop with the monitor in the Intel graphics port. At this point in time, I'm just trying the 'stop hardware acceleration' in Chrome fix that I read online.

I used the VGA and DP because I only had those two cables then. Right before I had to work from home, I bought a HDMI cable thinking I might want to plug my personal laptop into the work monitor sometimes, thus when I brought it home I used a HDMI for the desktop with the monitor in the Intel graphics port. At this point in time, I'm just trying the 'stop hardware acceleration' in Chrome fix that I read online.
The only thing I can currently suggest is trying another DP cable or go back to using HDMI if you don't need higher than 60Hz refresh rate.

What is the monitor model? Maybe there is some known issue or maybe the DP port has developed some issue over time that didn't become a problem until unplugging the monitor.

datf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2014
The only thing I can currently suggest is trying another DP cable or go back to using HDMI if you don't need higher than 60Hz refresh rate.

What is the monitor model? Maybe there is some known issue or maybe the DP port has developed some issue over time that didn't become a problem until unplugging the monitor.

It's a Dell P2317H. By now I feel like it's probably a Chrome thing, since the flicker only happens in the Chrome window.

See if chrome has an update. You could also try using Brave browser, which is based on Chromium, but is privacy focused and removes a ton of google spying. If it has the same issue as Chrome it might still be a hardware issue, likely related to drivers.

https://brave.com/

Solution