[SOLVED] Switched from AMD to Nvidia, now there is a black screen

Jan 20, 2019
I recently just put Windows 10 on a OS-less computer, and just swapped out the old AMD GPU with a Nvidia 1050ti.

So here's what happened; I have a computer that was old, but still has good specs, except for the GPU, which is old. The computer I still use but will not be using soon has a better GPU then the one the other computer has. So I wanted to swap out the AMD with the Nvidia GPU. I used DDU, uninstalled the AMD drivers, and put in the new GPU. But to no avail, there was no display coming up. Only a black screen. I then took out the GPU and put back the old one and it worked. Woo-hoo. Then I put back the Nvidia GPU, yet still the display wouldn't work.

I am honestly stumped and have no clue what to do. Any ideas?

Reactions: Frankoli
Solution

It means it's not UEFI and you need to watch what video cards will work with it, but first step is do a BIOS update then check. I still don't see a list of what new video cards do and don't have issues with the older BIOS, it seems to go by model, brand, even motherboard model.
Need to list full system specs, what the old AMD card was, power supply brand and model also. Did you try a BIOS update? "old" computers may not run newer video cards due to motherboard restrictions, is the BIOS a UEFI one or legacy? If legacy, that is most likely the issue.

Jan 20, 2019
Here's my specs:

Processor: Intel i7-3930k

Motherboard: X79 Extreme 11

RAM: 64gb of DDR3

Power Supply: 850w

Old GPU: AMD Firepro W5000

New GPU: Nvidia 1050ti Zotac

And how do you update BIOS? And how do I check wether or not my BIOS is legacy or UEFI? (I think mine is UEFI but not sure exactly)

It means it's not UEFI and you need to watch what video cards will work with it, but first step is do a BIOS update then check. I still don't see a list of what new video cards do and don't have issues with the older BIOS, it seems to go by model, brand, even motherboard model.

Solution