[SOLVED] Switched from Intel to AMD 5900x, looking for overclocking tips

__blackha7__

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Hello,

Looking for overclocking tips regarding the 5900x. This is my first ever AMD chip for the past 15 years. Just switched from i7 9700K. I have deep knowledge in overclocking Intel chips, but AMD is a whole different as much as I can see.

Cooling is NZXT X62, pasted with Kryonaut.
Mobo is Gigabyte's Aorus Elite X570.
Ram is x4 8GB Corsair Vengeance rgb pro 3200mhz XMP .

• Is PBO on auto + memory overclock to 3600mhz on CL17 + 200mhz Core Override a good start?
  • Will manual overclocking provide better results, compared to the PBO overclocking example above? Thank you in advance.
-Should I stop some power saving features to ensure stable overclocking?

Cheers

Solution
Overclocking an AMD chip is not worth it and it is a waste of time and energy, you are going to exchange more heat for nothing, even if you manage to get +200Mhz, at the end you are not going to notice any difference in performance even in games or CPU heavy tasks, you will just get a few extra benchmark points, that is it.

Many will tell you that RAM oc on Ryzen is worth it, guess what? It is not. I have the 3700x and the same memory kit as you do, I managed to oc it to 3600Mhz CL16, wasted a whole night to test the stability, but no improvement at all except +100 in Cinebench R20.

So save your time, use stock settings and enjoy it while you can.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Overclocking an AMD chip is not worth it and it is a waste of time and energy, you are going to exchange more heat for nothing, even if you manage to get +200Mhz, at the end you are not going to notice any difference in performance even in games or CPU heavy tasks, you will just get a few extra benchmark points, that is it.

Many will tell you that RAM oc on Ryzen is worth it, guess what? It is not. I have the 3700x and the same memory kit as you do, I managed to oc it to 3600Mhz CL16, wasted a whole night to test the stability, but no improvement at all except +100 in Cinebench R20.

So save your time, use stock settings and enjoy it while you can.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS