[SOLVED] Switched from WIFI to cable, and friends can't connect to my game servers anymore.

Aug 31, 2020
Hi.

Before, i had a WIFI USB that connects to my Router. My friends could join my created gaming servers with no issues. (games like CSGO, Killing Floor, 7DaystoDie etc,)
Yesterday i switched form WIFI to Ethernet cable (connected from modem directly to my PC), and now my friends can't join my gaming server. They either get errors or my server doesn't show up.
I switched back to my WIFI and it works fine again, they are able to connect. Switch back to cable and no one can connect to me.
Anyone know whats causing this?

kanewolf

Titan
Hi.

Before, i had a WIFI USB that connects to my Router. My friends could join my created gaming servers with no issues. (games like CSGO, Killing Floor, 7DaystoDie etc,)
Yesterday i switched form WIFI to Ethernet cable (connected from modem directly to my PC), and now my friends can't join my gaming server. They either get errors or my server doesn't show up.
I switched back to my WIFI and it works fine again, they are able to connect. Switch back to cable and no one can connect to me.
Anyone know whats causing this?
You LAN IP address would need to be the same for your port forwards to work. It would not be the same by default.

It would not be the same by default.
And the reason why is because the mac address of your wired nic is different than your wifi nic. This is by design. You can either change your router's dhcp reservation for your wired nic or port forwarding rules (recommended), or you can change the mac on your wired nic but it can cause other problems (and hence not recommended).

TRENDING THREADS