Switched motherboard and CPU, no signal.

batywaty1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017
I recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU from an A10-7850K to an i3 7100 intel processor. My computer turns on with all the LEDs and stuff but when connected to my monitor does not show anything. It's just a blank screen. How do I fix this?

It also turns on and after a few seconds turn back off and on and stays on.

P.S I didn't reformat my HDD, it still has all the drivers and stuff from my previous A10 build. But even though, I didn't reformat, it should take me to the BIOS/UEFI at least?
Thanks.

Solution
This is all wrong. The problem is that your motherboard supports skylake processors and will need a BIOS update to support the 7 series i3. You'll need to flash the BIOS using a skylake cpu, or return the 7 series i3 and get a 6 series one.

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo batywaty1

Do you have a discrete GPU? if so, you might have plugged your Video cable into the wrong port, since it won't show anything if you plug it into the motherboard, if a discrete GPU is connected.
For good measures, you might as well reinstall Windows. I'm not quite sure if it's actually causing the problem, but when you're going from an AMD based system to Intel, Windows might have som problems figuring out what's going on.
If you can't even reach BIOS, the cable might be the problem. Otherwise, have you tried mashing Delete, or whatever key you need to enter BIOS?

Good luck figuring out the problem!
Cheers.

batywaty1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

I currently don't have a discrete GPU adn intend to run off the integrated graphics until a time comes when I get one. So, it's not possible to connect to a discrete GPU. If it makes a difference, I'm using a DVI-D to HDMI cable (DVI-D on the motherboard side to HDMI as the monitor connector).

batywaty1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

I don't have that option as I don't have a discrete GPU currently.

TheOnePhoenix

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016

I think maybe your cable is the problem. Not saying there's anything wrong with a hdmi to dvi but maybe the cables broken.

batywaty1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

It was working perfectly fine when I had the A10 build which was 2 days ago. I'll try a different cable though, thanks.

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Alright then. You might want to try and use a VGA cable. Not that I really think this is going to make any sort of difference, but the motherboard might not recognize the DVI-D to HDMI.
If this won't help, you might want to check if monitor is set to the correct input.

batywaty1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

My motherboard only has a DVI-D port, it's the ASRock H110M-DGS. So, a VGA is out of the question. Also, why does it turn on and off after I press the power button it stays on for about 5 seconds then turns off and on, and continues to stay on after that, with of course no signal.

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Just to be totally sure where the problem lays. Please try and plug the monitor in to something you know works. Just to see if the monitor magically died while you changed out parts in your tower, or if it's your motherboard which is the problem here.

batywaty1

Commendable
Feb 1, 2017

The monitor is still functional, I guess it has something to do with the motherboard then.

True Buie

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Okay then. If possible try use a 'pure' DVI-D cabel from motherboard to monitor. Maybe the monitor won't recognize the adapater since it has a new CPU/mobo installed.
Otherwise I'd say you should contact ASROCK or the comapny from where you bought it and RMA it.

Richard Naylor

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
This is all wrong. The problem is that your motherboard supports skylake processors and will need a BIOS update to support the 7 series i3. You'll need to flash the BIOS using a skylake cpu, or return the 7 series i3 and get a 6 series one.

Solution