Switched motherboards and graphics card, kept hard drive, but windows 8 won't boot up

TedHardy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014
I decided to do an upgrade to a computer by putting a new motherboard and graphics card in it. Windows 8 was preinstalled by retailer. Now I can't get windows 8 to boot up. Should I repair it? But in order to do so I need the Windows 8 product key #, which to the best of my understanding is in the old motherboard bios. So do I just put the old computer back together and use a key finder such as Belarc Advisor to grab the key, then switch everything back up to the new components and repair the hard drive using the newly obtained key? Will I lose everything on the hard drive? So how do I get this to work? Thanks!

How is it a new system when all I am changing is the motherboard and still using same hard drive with OS on it? Any cheap ways to obtain a new windows 8?

Solution
Hi TedHardy
was the replacement motherboard the same as the old one ?
EDIT: if not the same motherboard , you will have to reinstall windows
with a new product key

TedHardy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

How is it a new system when all I am changing is the motherboard and still using same hard drive with OS on it? Any cheap ways to obtain a new windows 8?

TedHardy

Reputable
Jun 4, 2014

Definitely a different motherboard.
Is obtaining a new product key different than completely repurchasing windows?

Nordein

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

You will have to contact the manufacturer since from the looks of it you are upgrading a factory constructed PC. The sad thing is, if you ever change the MOBO or HDD your windows "deactivates". Even contacting the manufacturer may not help you reactivate it. The same thing happened to me when I decided to upgrade mine. I downgraded to Windows 7 by using "other" means instead of buying since I figured I had every right to do so, due to the fact that Microsoft has this silly thing implemented.