[SOLVED] switched ram to 3200mhz - should work but it's not

Dec 9, 2021
to put it shortly I have a b450 tomahawk and a ryzen 7 3800x and I had installed 2 8gb sticks of 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram. I recently checked what my ram was running at and found that it was running at a measly 1066 for both!? (I have had this ram since 2019) I went into bios and tried turning on xmp, but to my surprise, my monitors went black. I switched between the profiles that presented themselves, but both resulted in the same error (both profiles also presented the same frequency of 3200mhz). After doing some research my motherboard on the official MSI website states that I should 100% be able to oc my ram to the expected 3200mhz, but I can't? can someone help, I have been reading forum posts and all I can think to do is update my bios and hope it allows me to do so (actually set the ram to 3200mhz). the current bios version I am running is from back in 2019, I got my CPU in 2020 (the new CPU is a ryzen 7 3800x, the old CPU which was installed with the ram was a ryzen 7 2700x) and I have had my ram since 2019. I also have some new ram coming today (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB). Maybe it's time to ask s a n t a for a new motherboard?

Solution
to put it shortly I have a b450 tomahawk and a ryzen 7 3800x and I had installed 2 8gb sticks of 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram. I recently checked what my ram was running at and found that it was running at a measly 1066 for both!? (I have had this ram since 2019) I went into bios and tried turning on xmp, but to my surprise, my monitors went black. I switched between the profiles that presented themselves, but both resulted in the same error (both profiles also presented the same frequency of 3200mhz). After doing some research my motherboard on the official MSI website states that I should 100% be able to oc my ram to the expected 3200mhz, but I can't? can someone help, I have been reading forum posts and all I can think...
to put it shortly I have a b450 tomahawk and a ryzen 7 3800x and I had installed 2 8gb sticks of 3200mhz corsair vengeance ram. I recently checked what my ram was running at and found that it was running at a measly 1066 for both!? (I have had this ram since 2019) I went into bios and tried turning on xmp, but to my surprise, my monitors went black. I switched between the profiles that presented themselves, but both resulted in the same error (both profiles also presented the same frequency of 3200mhz). After doing some research my motherboard on the official MSI website states that I should 100% be able to oc my ram to the expected 3200mhz, but I can't? can someone help, I have been reading forum posts and all I can think to do is update my bios and hope it allows me to do so (actually set the ram to 3200mhz). the current bios version I am running is from back in 2019, I got my CPU in 2020 (the new CPU is a ryzen 7 3800x, the old CPU which was installed with the ram was a ryzen 7 2700x) and I have had my ram since 2019. I also have some new ram coming today (Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB). Maybe it's time to ask s a n t a for a new motherboard?
Update the bios and try again.
If it still won't work try one stick of ram in the proper slot and see if that will accept 3200.

Another thought.
Is the ram in the proper slots now?

Solution
Dec 9, 2021
Update the bios and try again.
If it still won't work try one stick of ram in the proper slot and see if that will accept 3200.

Another thought.
Is the ram in the proper slots now?

ram are in slots 1 and 3 going from front to back, still going to update bios will update if it changes anything

ram are in slots 1 and 3 going from front to back, still going to update bios will update if it changes anything
Ram modules should be placed in slots A2 and B2. Check user manual of your motherboard.

To overclock ram manually, set
DDR voltage to 1.35V,​
Command rate to 1T,​
Latencies - 16-20-20-38.​
Set ram frequency to 2133mhz, test,
increase to 2400mhz, 2600mhz,2800mhz,2933mhz,3000mhz,3200mhz.
Test after each increase.
If test fails, return to previous settings that worked.

TRENDING THREADS