[SOLVED] Switched to 1440P, having performance issues

ajdemoulpied

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019
So today I switched from a simple Samsung 60Hz, 1080p display to an ASUS 144Hz, 1440p display. Before this switch, I was running AC Odyssey, GTA V, and other AAA titles no problem on Ultra. I, of course, had to put some limiters with AC as most do, but it ran beautifully smooth at 60FPS with the limiter on. Now my FPS is all over the place, even when dropping my graphics settings to mediums and highs in both AC and GTA. Additionally, I am receiving input lag in GTA where it will not respond to inputs from my controller. It is also freezing for about a half second or so about every 10 seconds. None of this makes any sense to me. I ran stress tests using OCCT and 3D Mark and everything seems to be within normal specs from before as far as I can tell. I truly do not think that this is a GPU issue and I am kind of leaning toward a CPU bottleneck with me going to 1440p, but I also can't really see that. I really have no idea what is going on and I have found nothing of merit online to help me troubleshoot this. I have already updated my drivers and adjusted the resolution and refresh rating settings in my Nvidia control panel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PC specs as follows:
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 MOBO
EVGA 80+ Gold 650W PS
G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB 3200MHz
6600K overclocked to 4.3GHz air cooled with a Hyper 212
Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB
Boot drive- Samsung 970 M.2
Games run off a Samsung 850 EVO

UPDATE:
I hooked up the old monitor just to see if it would act the same and oddly enough it is still dropping frames and I am having input lags. With that, I stepped my CPU back down to see if maybe it was randomly being pushed too hard now and I am still having the issues. What is truly odd is that it seems like some kind of all-around performance issue, but I have had no issues with my computer running any other programs or processes. It starts up fine, plays videos just fine, and performs just fine online. This is driving me crazy.

Solution

ahmadhijazi0

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019
The higher the resolution the less cpu intensive it is, so cpu bottleneck doesn't make sense as you confirmed by going back to 1080p on old monitor.

This is a head scratcher. I would:
* Double-check that there isn't some background process bogging down the SSD, cpu, ram.
* Use MSI afterburner & Riva to display cpu, gpu usage and temps in-game and see what's going on when the 0.5 second lag or input lag occurs
* System restore to last date when everything was fine
* Come back to forums!

Good luck. Keep us posted.

ajdemoulpied

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019

ahmadhijazi0

I have been able to get AC Odyssey to run smooth by reverting back to the Dec 12 driver, I think that is what fixed it at least. It seemed that GTA V was fine, but I noticed that GeForce experience made some of it's own changes such as windowed borderless and switch my refresh rate to "auto" in the game settings. If I manually switch this to fullscreen and change the refresh rate to anything but 60Hz, I get lag. No point in having a monitor that can go to 165Hz if I can't run anything at that right?? Frustrating. I pulled up CPU-Z and GPU-Z, along with task manager to monitor the load on the hardware and oddly enough my GPU only has a 6% load at most during game play. The CPU is sitting at 70 to 80% at 60Hz and maxes out to 100% at anything above that which is where lag spikes start to happen. I know for sure that the GPU should be carrying most of the load and this CPU, while I get may not be the best on the market, should be able to handle anything that a game like GTA should throw at it. Temps are more than great with a max of 58C on the CPU and 67C on the GPU. Average was 41C and 49C respectively. I am going to monitor AC running next to see what happens. I would imagine the GPU to be maxed with that game.

UPDATE: AC Odyssey is also maxing out the CPU to 100% by using up about 90 to 92 percent on average. There is no other process using more than a percent. The GPU was running taxed to about 70% or so though so at least I know it is being utilized. Temps again stayed about the same as they did earlier. Now I do have this game capped to 55 FPS as most do and all the settings are set to their highest or just below that, nothing on ultra in other words. With all of that, it runs as smooth as I have ever seen a game run. Looks beautiful, not lag spikes, graphics are amazing and game play input is smooth. With that, it seems like GTA V is having an issue with running at the higher end settings and the GPU is not picking up the slack. On top of that, it seems like my CPU is taking on more than it should be. I can't see an i5 6600K overclocked ans stable through stress testing at 4.4Ghz being maxed out like that with a 2070 in the mix.

ajdemoulpied

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019

SgtScream

The cable was changed out from an HDMI on the 1080p monitor to a DisplayPort cable for the 1440p monitor.

ajdemoulpied

Commendable
Jan 15, 2019

AC Odyssey is running perfectly. No issues what so ever short of the CPU being maxed out, but it doesn't seem to effect game play. Look at my reply to ahmadhijazi0 above.

ahmadhijazi0

Commendable
Jan 6, 2019

Well this is interesting. I found this video showing GTA 5 gameplay at 1080p and 1440p with 6600 but at 3.3GHz and RTX 2070. At 1440p the cpu is pegged at 100% more than at 1080p and the RTX2070 is at 60-70% load at 1440p. I didn't expect this to be the case but it is. Your cpu is at 4.3 GHz, so you should be in a better situation. Note that the video doesn't lag at 1440p even though cpu at 100%, so still confused why your system is stuttering.

Solution