[SOLVED] Switched to a new case— Powers on, but no signal on monitor?

Solution
The CPU socket pins, are they standing straight up? Squashing the CPU with
a CPU heatsink without tension springs causes the whole section of pins to be slanting all in the same direction, and the second or lower bank are straight up.
I was also with this problem several times. 3 long beeps and two short if it is a HP. A memory problem is what the diagnosis always is. The CPU cooler heat sink has thumb screws meaning only finger tight if no tension springs are what the design today has. We always had tension springs in the past.
Without any warnings, we may be crushing our CPU socket and no one wants to take the motherboard back on warranty.

Marky000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Feels like we need more info here.

Maybe let's take it back to basics:

Does you hear system POST? Sometimes, audible POST is disabled in BIOS so you won't hear it in that case. Other option is to connect a basic internal speaker to the system panel header.

If you don't hear the POST, do you hear a string of long or short beeps? (usually indicative of memory or video card not being detected).

Have you re-seated the video card? Do you have another video card you can test with?

How are you connecting to monitor? DVI, Display Port, HDMI? Some monitors are stubborn and might require you to toggle the input button manually in order to choose the correct connection.

Have you connected the 4/8 Pin 12V connector (powers the CPU) etc? Sometimes people only connect the main 24-pin connector.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2021
Feels like we need more info here.

Maybe let's take it back to basics:

Does you hear system POST? Sometimes, audible POST is disabled in BIOS so you won't hear it in that case. Other option is to connect a basic internal speaker to the system panel header.

If you don't hear the POST, do you hear a string of long or short beeps? (usually indicative of memory or video card not being detected).

Have you re-seated the video card? Do you have another video card you can test with?

How are you connecting to monitor? DVI, Display Port, HDMI? Some monitors are stubborn and might require you to toggle the input button manually in order to choose the correct connection.

Have you connected the 4/8 Pin 12V connector (powers the CPU) etc? Sometimes people only connect the main 24-pin connector.

1. Tried connecting speaker. No sound

2. Nothing. No short or long beeps.

3. Yup. Tried reseating it. Still nothing. Don’t have a spare GPU to test with.

4. Display Port on primary monitor and HDMI on second monitor. Tried choosing input— still no signal.

5. Yes. I have.

Mode edit: Also wanted to note none of my peripherals are turning on.

InvalidError

Titan
Take it apart and see if it POSTs from a cardboard box. If it does, then something in the case (ex.: misplaced extra motherboard stud or IO shield grounding tab poking into a connector) was likely shorting something on the board. If there is no change, then your motherboard or CPU may be dead.

Neod!mium

Prominent
Mar 16, 2020
I don't know the exact answer.
For a start, I would like to enter the bios somehow.

!! If we can’t get into the bios then that’s a big problem!

Inspect the pins on the processor and the slots on the motherboard with the light to make sure everything is 100% good
Check to see if you have an inflated capacitor on the motherboard.
(most often these around the processor, but look at the others, it mostly looks bold)
Also do you have content drying from some component (dielectric)
Check to see if you have any screws left on the motherboard.

Basically there is nothing else to be a problem other than the motherboard.
Today, motherboards are severely damaged because the maximum performance for the most economical materials is squeezed out of them so that I can sell them for a cheap price. So everything bothers them, first of all that there is some short circuit during the installation of new parts.
I recommend that you always save the bios on usb, put a cap on the CMOS and use rubber gloves.
See if your motherboard touches the case somewhere. Just put it on the slots on the case and watch the other cables so that they don't get caught under it.

When you have checked everything visually, take the motherboard out of the case, connect it to the power supply, leave the processor and the cooler on it. (Return CMOS to the correct position)

Connect the tested monitor to it via the hdmi port from the motherboard, remove each M.2 port (Nvme) and everything that is not needed for the BIOS to work.

So only motherboard, power supply, processor, cooler, monitor, 1 Ram slot in DIMM2 (probably) (try first or second of sockets)

Turn on the computer and if there is no picture, check each part separately.

A screen on the motherboard that gives the Qcode of the motherboard would help a lot here.

The last thing I would do was take out absolutely everything from the motherboard leaving only the power supply (no processor and dimm)

put a new bios that you will download from another computer and put on another usb and run mbo upgrade bios.
You have explained how it is done everywhere on the net.

If that doesn't work either I would take another motherboard.

This has been translated from google translate so I apologize for the mistakes.

Dec 10, 2021
I moved everything out of my old case to a new case-- prior to this I saw the scratches under the motherboard when lifting it from the old case. I thought nothing of it, but I do recall using force of getting it off the old case (I'm dumb). So I might have caused the damage myself, now I get no signal on my monitors and my peripherals are also not working.

RGB lights and stuff are working as default on the motherboard too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NtzdrOU

oEpTJGD_d.webp

jxqoLMV_d.webp

Marky000

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2013
Scratches are never good. You could grab some isopropyl (100%) alcohol and clean the scratched area. Don't rub the alcohol, just dab it with a clean cotton bud etc. Rubbing can cause static so avoid that. It probably won't help but at least it cleans out debris and you can truly see the damage.

You could also try to remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds and re-seat. This has the effect of resetting the CMOS (which are the custom settings that were applied to the BIOS).

Mr.Tibbs

Commendable
Oct 22, 2021
The CPU socket pins, are they standing straight up? Squashing the CPU with
a CPU heatsink without tension springs causes the whole section of pins to be slanting all in the same direction, and the second or lower bank are straight up.
I was also with this problem several times. 3 long beeps and two short if it is a HP. A memory problem is what the diagnosis always is. The CPU cooler heat sink has thumb screws meaning only finger tight if no tension springs are what the design today has. We always had tension springs in the past.
Without any warnings, we may be crushing our CPU socket and no one wants to take the motherboard back on warranty.

Solution

bignastyid

Titan
I moved everything out of my old case to a new case-- prior to this I saw the scratches under the motherboard when lifting it from the old case. I thought nothing of it, but I do recall using force of getting it off the old case (I'm dumb). So I might have caused the damage myself, now I get no signal on my monitors and my peripherals are also not working.

oEpTJGD_d.webp

jxqoLMV_d.webp
That board is toast. Those are more than scratches those are gouges. You have damaged the traces on the board.

eatfood768

Reputable
Aug 24, 2018

holy cow dude, if the screw doesn't fit or you're struggling with it, leave it, its no big problem if one screw is missing if it means that your mobo still fits