[SOLVED] Switched to B450 motherboard, didn't need to reinstall windows??

May 2, 2020
Specs:
CPU: AMD RYZEN 5 3600
MB: MSI B450 PRO VDH-MAX
GPU: RADEON RX 5700 XT

Recently, i upgraded from intel i7 6700 to AMD ryzen 5 3600, switched the motherboard to a B450 Pro VDH-Max, and got the rx 5700 xt gpu. After installing the hardware, my computer went to a black screen with text indicating that i needed to setup a boot location (somewhere along those lines.. i forgot), but i guess this is indicating that i needed to reinstall windows 10. However, when i shut off the computer, put in my new GPU, it booted into windows 10!? Its been a day and everything is functioning properly, when i checked security and updates, windows is up to date.. How is this possible?

So my main question now is that I need to install a BIOS update and the chipset drivers for my motherboard. Im concerned that after doing so, It may require me to purchase the OEM key and reinstall windows 10. Will this happen or am I good to go on updating BIOS?

Solution
However, when i shut off the computer, put in my new GPU, it booted into windows 10!? Its been a day and everything is functioning properly, when i checked security and updates, windows is up to date.. How is this possible?
It can happen... but in a few weeks of useage you can also start experiencing unexplained problems. One in particular might be coming out of sleep...it won't. Another will be enabling advanced security features such as WHQL operating mode that uses the EFI partition for booting and to close vulnerability to root-kit exploits.

I'd suggest a repair install doing an in-place upgrade. The link has detailed instruction how to do it. It keeps all apps and settings but re-detects hardware and...
It might happen since you did use an OEM key and the hardware that remain registered with the same key only the RX 5500 XT from your last intel build.

Also flashing the bios is important beacuse you use a Zen 2 CPU, as much of B450 Chipset motherboard needs to flash bios update to Fully support and function the cpu.

However, when i shut off the computer, put in my new GPU, it booted into windows 10!? Its been a day and everything is functioning properly, when i checked security and updates, windows is up to date.. How is this possible?
It can happen... but in a few weeks of useage you can also start experiencing unexplained problems. One in particular might be coming out of sleep...it won't. Another will be enabling advanced security features such as WHQL operating mode that uses the EFI partition for booting and to close vulnerability to root-kit exploits.

I'd suggest a repair install doing an in-place upgrade. The link has detailed instruction how to do it. It keeps all apps and settings but re-detects hardware and re-installs the correct system files to support it. But if you start experiencing strange problems, you might end up just doing a clean install anyway.

Solution
Sometimes it works fine.
My brother swapped from FX to Ryzen and it had no issues at all going on 6 months.

Sometimes it works at first then gives you issues later or sometimes it doesn't work at all.

I would go to MSIs site and get the latest drivers.

TRENDING THREADS