Switched to new internet provider with a promise of 300 mbps, now internet is really slow.

Zarotu

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am having a huge problem with my internet service at this moment. My internet is incredibly slow right now. I recently switched to Hawaiian Telcom with a promise of 300 Mpbs, but currently the internet is at an average of 7.7 Mbps according to testmy.net. According to Speedtest.net by Ookla, hosted by Hawaiian Telcom, my speed is 44.49 Mbps which is not true. I can barely play YouTube videos anymore without the huge loading time or the quality being automatically rendered unwatchable. I am at my wits' end and came here asking for help. I have already contacted the provider, who removed my router. The internet is currently connected to this Pace 5168NV-110 router. The internet is even worse.

I currently have two methods of receiving internet on my computer. One is via a PCI Adapter with a promise of 300 Mbps. However, the Wi-Fi status when connected using this adapter is 130.0 Mbps. According to testmy.net, my speed is 125 Kbps. The PCI Adapter is behind the PC, which could interfere with the internet, but it was not this bad before. When using the Belkin Wireless USB Adapter, the Wi-Fi status is 65 Mbps with the above 7.7 Mbps speed. This USB Adapter is placed in front of the computer towards to router, which is behind a wall.

When using my phone, my speed is 6.5 Mbps.

When using my laptop's Wi-Fi, right next to the Pace router, I get a speed of 4.9 Mbps with a Wi-Fi status of 130 Mbps. When using the ethernet cable, I get a speed of 6.3 Mbps with a status of 100 Mbps.

What are some things I can do to improve my internet? Should I get a new router? Should I switch providers?

Thank you

Solution
Test the speed directly connected to the modem, bypass your router. As above, your speeds past the modem depend on your connection inside the house, which the IPS does not control.