[SOLVED] Switched to Xfinity 1 Gb/s internet

Jul 31, 2020
We just switched to Xfinity 1 Gb internet from our att 45 Mb/s internet. The Internet was instantly faster. We rented the new WiFi 6 modem router combo from them and everything seemed fine for about 1 hour. As soon as the tech left I ran a speed test wirelessly on three different devices, iPhones included, and saw no more than 5 Mb/s download! That’s insane! We were better off with att! Hard wired to my PS4 I was seeing 450 Mb/s download for about an hour and then started noticing drops. When tested again, speeds fluctuated from 800 to 50 Mb/s constantly. Something is horribly wrong with the internet. I ran my own diagnostic test with glass wire like I’ve done before to diagnose internet issues and nothing is using anything greater than hundreds of kB/s. So that tells me it’s not that we’re using too many devices at once, it’s that either the modem we rented “New”, isn’t worth a darn or that we have wiring issues in the house. Someone please help!

Solution
See if there are any errors in the modem log. There should also be a screen that shows the power levels which you can lookup and see if are valid. Also on this screen there likely is a list of uncorrectable errors which means data loss. You will always see some since the modem I see do not clear this value very often so it constantly increases for months. The exact layout of these screen varies a bit from vendor to vendor.

You always want to do your testing on ethernet. If you want to verify the cabling inside your house transfer files between machines or use a tool called IPERF to see. Maybe ping to the router IP and the IP of the ISP which you should see as hop 2 in a tracert 8.8.8.8

Wifi6 should just drop back to...
See if there are any errors in the modem log. There should also be a screen that shows the power levels which you can lookup and see if are valid. Also on this screen there likely is a list of uncorrectable errors which means data loss. You will always see some since the modem I see do not clear this value very often so it constantly increases for months. The exact layout of these screen varies a bit from vendor to vendor.

You always want to do your testing on ethernet. If you want to verify the cabling inside your house transfer files between machines or use a tool called IPERF to see. Maybe ping to the router IP and the IP of the ISP which you should see as hop 2 in a tracert 8.8.8.8

Wifi6 should just drop back to 802.11ac but it is still kinda new and there are bugs yet in some vendors stuff. I would not spend extra to get it since wifi6e is coming out and going to make wifi6 obsolete.

Solution