[SOLVED] Switching a shared display between two computers by moving the mouse

Componentgirl90

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2015
I have a display connected to two computers. Currently, to switch the display from one display channel (e.g. HDMI 1) to the other (e.g. HDMI 2) I must use the on screen display for the monitor to manually select the appropriate channel for the computer I want to use.

I would like to change this so that if I were to move the mouse for the computer I want to use, it will change the display automatically to show the display output for the PC I want to use.

I am using Ubuntu and Windows 10 for the two computers.

Ralston18

Titan

Remeca

Reputable
And going between Windows and Linux has major impact on any software solution.
The software I posted are both cross platform. Synergy should work fine in theory cross platform, though the last time I did it was back in late XP and early Linux Mint days. Much more responsive than VNC, even over WiFi it feels flawless. VNC is the best for actually sharing the display, although running Ethernet is recommended to minimize latency and maximize display quality and response. You won't be playing games, but day to day tasks are totally doable. It is also going to be least effected by being cross platform.

If you just think about it: Your monitor has no idea about keyboards, mice, Windows and Linux. What it knows and does is to display the image of selected HDMI port (and this selection is done by a button on the monitor, OSD menus etc).

What you can try to do is to blank the display on the system which is not used. A lot of monitors will switch to the other input if they don't sense a signal on current one. You can also see whether you can "hack" your monitor by soldering an external "selector" switch (it depends a lot how the inputs are selected).

popatim

Titan
Solution