Switching amd fx to ryzen

dill52354

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
I am switching to ryzen from amd fx so I need a new motherboard and ddr4 I was wondering would I need to format my ssd for windows because of the hardware change?

Solution
It is good practice to do so but not required.
That being said it will not boot into windows right away after the mobo change, you will need to boot it from a windows installation usb/disk, it will then install the required drivers and boot right into windows.

keep in mind you could get some performance issues or glitches with all the old drivers still in your OS, i would just clean install windows to avoid possible issues.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017

Not usually no, you should be able to just plug it in and install the new drivers.
If you do experience issues then it could be the SSD drive (I keep seeing Samsung SSD drives having issues recently).
With windows 10 you can generally move your drive computer to computer and it will automatically detect and install the hardware changes.

USAFRet

Titan

For a new motherboard and whole new chipset, a fresh install is strongly recommended.
There is no 100% either way.
1 of 3 outcomes:
1. It just works
2. It fails completely
3. It works, but issues crop up later.

Also, if this is Win 10, read and do this before you change any hardware:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

Rakanyshu

Distinguished
It is good practice to do so but not required.
That being said it will not boot into windows right away after the mobo change, you will need to boot it from a windows installation usb/disk, it will then install the required drivers and boot right into windows.

keep in mind you could get some performance issues or glitches with all the old drivers still in your OS, i would just clean install windows to avoid possible issues.

Solution
W7 is a bit of a pig to adjust to run with Ryzen system. Make sure you download and make ready all drivers for W7 for the MB. I came from FX 6350 on Gigabyte ga-890fxa-UD5 MB and W7 wouldn't f work at first so I had to reinstall it while injecting right drivers beforehand. W10 on the other hand work from the word go and installed almost all right drivers.

Questaroma

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2016

I just jumped from fx-8350 and an asus m5a99x evo2 to a ryzen 5 1600 and a gigabyte AB-350, when I turned on my computor, w10 wouldn't load, and it gave me a bsod, it said that aoddriver2.sys isn't working, should I get a fresh install of amd overdrive, and will that fix the problem?