switching back and forth between amd and nvidia

sandbox242

Distinguished
May 8, 2013
I plan to get an nvidia shield in the near future and i would like to know if/how it is possible to alternate between running games on either the amd card i've already got or the nvidia one without having to reboot the PC. of course i'll need to get an nvidia card first in order to use the gamestream feature. I had already planned to get one to use for processing physx anyways. I want to keep both cards in the system at the same time and i'd most likely keep the hdmi cable plugged into the amd card, since it's more powerful than the nvidia card i plan on getting. So is it possible to choose which card i want to play the games on, or do i even need to choose? or will the shield automatically use the nvidia card once i try using the gamestream feature?

If your asking between having both cards in your case and using them at different times, this is doable.

Just plug your monitor into the card that you want to use.

Make sure you have both AMD and Nvidia drivers installed.

You won't have to reboot to change cards if both cards are enabled in BIOS to run at the same time.

sandbox242

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

so I'd have to plug the hdmi cable into the nvidia card before leaving the house? (i plan on using gamestream outside of my home about 15-30 miles away) what would happen if i just didn't have a monitor plugged in at all? how would it know to use either the amd card, the nvidia card, or this intel integrated graphics? or would it just not work at all? i don't usually keep the monitor on when i leave so i'm just not sure how exactly it'd work.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Games will tend to use whatever you have the primary screen set, attached to (weather it is the AMD card or the Nvidia card).

The simplest solution for you, would be to sell the AMD card, and purchase a nvidia card of equivalent power to solve this problem without the hassle.

sandbox242

Distinguished
May 8, 2013

It's only simple for those who have money. Nvidia cards of equal power to my AMD card are more expensive, plus I'd have to sell my AMD card for less than I bought it for because it's used, so I'd just lose a lot of money. (amd card i have is asus r9 280 which cost me $230. GTX 770 would be the equivelent and the asus version of that card is $340, $110 more) I'm just gonna get a 650 anyways, which is the minimum requirement for gamestream and is more than enough to process physx. My next question is if there will be a bottleneck in my system if I'm using a 650 and my i5 4690k is clocked @ 4.5ghz?