Switching back to windows 7

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I have my computer dual booted with windows 8 and 7 (8 on SSD 7 on HDD) and i would like to format the ssd to switch back to windows 7 but i assume if i format the ssd with windows 8 on it it would screw up the dual boot, is there a quick way to make windows 7 my main and remove 8 so i can install 7 on the ssd?

Solution
If the boot loader is stored on the SSD, I am not sure if you actually can simply move it over to the HDD, then remove the entry for Windows 8. Removing the entry is easy, moving the loader is the potentially hard part. Unless someone else can post a method of moving the loader to another drive, you're probably stuck reinstalling Windows 7.

This is why I always encourage everyone to install Windows with only one drive connected. You have to manually pick the drive you want to boot from if you want to go to the other operating system, but it's a LOT easier to clean up if you want to remove one OS (or add more) later on.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're going to stop using Win8 and boot with Win7 from the SSD, why do you need the dual boot to remain? Just install a fresh Win7 on the SSD with the HDD's SATA cable unplugged. You will have a clean Win7 install on the SSD and the HDD will be available for data storage after a format.

If the boot loader is stored on the SSD, I am not sure if you actually can simply move it over to the HDD, then remove the entry for Windows 8. Removing the entry is easy, moving the loader is the potentially hard part. Unless someone else can post a method of moving the loader to another drive, you're probably stuck reinstalling Windows 7.

This is why I always encourage everyone to install Windows with only one drive connected. You have to manually pick the drive you want to boot from if you want to go to the other operating system, but it's a LOT easier to clean up if you want to remove one OS (or add more) later on.

Solution

iineviidable

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Sounds like this is going to be interesting.