Question Switching between 2400G APU and a discrete GPU

Death Adder

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
I want to build a Windows 10 based Gaming HTPC with the capability to run desktop applications / video playback using the APU, and can automatically switch to the discrete PCIe GPU (Radeon R9 Fury) while gaming

My questions:
  • Is it even possible?
  • Which BIOS settings should be adjusted?
  • Is there a software (or option in the drivers or windows) to assign applications / games to the GPU of my choice?
  • Should the HDMI cable be connected to the motherboard port or the PCIe GPU? or will I have to switch between them? (I hope not)

Please advice ... Thanks

For what reason are you planning to do that?
The dedicated GPU will always run in idle, even if not used. Just use the dedicated GPU. In Idle or HTPC use the card won´t be that loud or power consuming that much more than only using the APU.

You could use two cables to the monitor/TV. One from the motherboard and one from the GPU.

Death Adder

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Thanks for the reply peeps ...

The idea was creating a super efficient build, as it will be compacted inside a Phanteks Evolv Shift Case (I am trying to keep the heat as low as possible without ramping up the fans)

As for the switching, I hoped there was a solution like in laptops with dual GPUs where windows switch between the low & high performance GPU according to the running application

So... If you are sure that it won't differ much and I should just use the Fury, then I see no reason to buy the 2400G and should go with a more powerful 65W CPU like 2600 (or even wait for one of the Gen3 which are around the corner)

Thoughts anyone? 🙂