Question Switching boot drives, BIOS, EUFI, boot manager questions

eegad

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Trying to figure out and learn about boot drive / bios weirdness.

I've got an HP 750-055xt desktop with Win7 pro, 64-bit, SP1. It came with a 1TB HDD 4 years ago. I bought another 1TB HDD right away, and every few months used Macrium Reflect to clone the boot drive onto the other one. Then I swap cables and leave the just-cloned-boot-drive unplugged, and start using the clone as my boot drive. Etc, Etc every few months - it's a nice backup in case a drive fails. (I also back up really important files onto a usb drive). The only issue I find is that upon first booting the new clone, I always get some sort of "Realtek boot error", or "no bootable drive found" error. I then boot into the bios, and change the boot order...the new drive appears (UEFI) at the bottom, so I move it to the top. After that everything works fine.

Several months ago I got a 1TB SSD and cloned onto it. Same boot process occured where I had to move the SSD to the top of the boot list. I've been loving the SSD speed, but when I recently tried to clone it, I couldn't because of a bunch of bad sectors. I copied all my files from the past several months onto a usb drive and was going to "update" the older HDD with those files in case the SSD dies anytime soon. I unplugged the SSD, and plugged the HDD into that SATA cable (0). When I tried to boot, I got the usual error BUT...no amount of fiddling with the boot order would get the drive to boot. No boot drive found. Then I put the SSD back on SATA cable 0, and hooked the HDD to SATA 3. And was totally puzzled that the computer then booted off of the HDD on SATA 3.

Can anyone explain what the heck is going on and help demystify this whole boot process? One thing I might have noticed...I think that in the past when I changed boot order, the drive showed up as a UEFI disk and that is what I moved to the top of the boot list. This time, when I connected the SSD to 0, the HDD to 3 and the computer mysteriously booted off the HDD on 3...after copying my files and shutting down, I disconnected the SSD and booted into the bios - now the boot order shows "windows boot manager" at the top of the list (and the HDD (UEFI) is near the bottom).

???????

eegad

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
stick with 1 thread
Trying to figure out and learn about boot drive / bios weirdness.

I've got an HP 750-055xt desktop with Win7 pro, 64-bit, SP1. It came with a 1TB HDD 4 years ago. I bought another 1TB HDD right away, and every few months used Macrium Reflect to clone the boot drive onto the other one. Then I swap cables and leave the just-cloned-boot-drive unplugged, and start using the clone as my boot drive. Etc, Etc every few months - it's a nice backup in case a drive fails. (I also back up really important files onto a usb drive). The only issue I find is that upon first booting the new clone, I always get some sort of "Realtek boot error", or "no bootable drive found" error. I then boot into the bios, and change the boot order...the new drive appears (UEFI) at the bottom, so I move it to the top. After that everything works fine.

Several months ago I got a 1TB SSD and cloned onto it. Same boot process occured where I had to move the SSD to the top of the boot list. I've been loving the SSD speed, but when I recently tried to clone it, I couldn't because of a bunch of bad sectors. I copied all my files from the past several months onto a usb drive and was going to "update" the older HDD with those files in case the SSD dies anytime soon. I unplugged the SSD, and plugged the HDD into that SATA cable (0). When I tried to boot, I got the usual error BUT...no amount of fiddling with the boot order would get the drive to boot. No boot drive found. Then I put the SSD back on SATA cable 0, and hooked the HDD to SATA 3. And was totally puzzled that the computer then booted off of the HDD on SATA 3.

Can anyone explain what the heck is going on and help demystify this whole boot process? One thing I might have noticed...I think that in the past when I changed boot order, the drive showed up as a UEFI disk and that is what I moved to the top of the boot list. This time, when I connected the SSD to 0, the HDD to 3 and the computer mysteriously booted off the HDD on 3...after copying my files and shutting down, I disconnected the SSD and booted into the bios - now the boot order shows "windows boot manager" at the top of the list (and the HDD (UEFI) is near the bottom).

???????