Switching data on 2 drives

pieorpi

Commendable
Dec 27, 2016
When I first built my computer, I bought a 250 GB HDD for it (I regret it now) And recently installed a new 1 TB HDD. I if I could move all the data/os/everything from my 250GB drive to my 1TB drive. And if so, how I would. Just so you know they are both installed to my computer so I am looking to make the transfer without an extra drive.

Solution
1. First of all, after you power-down the PC, disconnect the 250 GB SSD from the system and boot the system with ONLY the newly-cloned 1 TB drive connected.

2. Assuming there's no problem booting to the 1 TB drive and it functions problem-free. Check your BIOS to ensure the drive is first in boot priority.

3. I'm assuming your 250 GB SSD had been connected to the motherboard's first SATA port (SATA 0 or SATA 1). If that is the case, connect your new 1 TB newly-cloned SSD to that port. It's NOT absolutely critical that you do this so if it's impractical to do so, forget about it.)

4. Respond to the above and we can go on from there.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006

I use Acronis Backup and I love it. You can clone drives with it as one of the options. Once cloned, make your 1 TB drive your primary drive. Make your other drive a secondary drive. Should work fine. If you do not know how to make it your secondary drive just remove it for the time being until your certain everything is working on your new drive.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Althrough I am familar with MR's and IFW's un-allocated "partitions" after cloning, mostly after partition full image restorations, my firewall blocks your imgur-picture. I wish I knew where and how large those un-allocated areas are because, in some but not all cases, one can simply ignore them and press on.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
To combine I am not sure. I have never used that product before. Typically there is an option so when you clone the drive it will expand the partitions automatically. In this case, as it exists you can allocate the space and it will show up as a an additional logical volume. Your clone utility made an EXACT duplicate, literally. Typically if the correct options are selected it would automatically merge that un-allocated space into the primary partition. Again, I have never used that utility. I looked at their website. It looks like the free version does not support that feature. I am guessing what you need is their option of "Bare metal restore to dissimilar hardware". That feature is in their paid version.

1. First of all, after you power-down the PC, disconnect the 250 GB SSD from the system and boot the system with ONLY the newly-cloned 1 TB drive connected.

2. Assuming there's no problem booting to the 1 TB drive and it functions problem-free. Check your BIOS to ensure the drive is first in boot priority.

3. I'm assuming your 250 GB SSD had been connected to the motherboard's first SATA port (SATA 0 or SATA 1). If that is the case, connect your new 1 TB newly-cloned SSD to that port. It's NOT absolutely critical that you do this so if it's impractical to do so, forget about it.)

4. Respond to the above and we can go on from there.

Solution