[SOLVED] Switching from 260GTX nVidia to RX470 Radeon-gives black screen

Jan 16, 2019
Hello,
I have a problem here. I recently got Sapphire RX470 OC NITRO+ and I wanted to replace my old XFX 260GTX. So I downloaded graphics driver uninstaller and uninstalled all nvidia's drivers in Safe mode. After that I shut down the PC and replaced the GPUs. Now everything I have is black screen when I turn the PC on. I even tried to remove RX470 and connect monitor to motherboard in order to disable integrated graphics, but I can not find them in Display drivers. The GPU works because I tried it in another PC in the house which is newer and runs on RX460, so it turned up with RX470 no problem. I also tried to put RX460 in my pc where nVidia was but the same thing happens. I tried also: Connecting the monitor via HDMI - nothing, connecting another monitor - nothing,...
Would it be smart to reinstall windows?
Please, if someone could help me I would be very thankful!
Leo

Solution

From what i understand he cannot enter bios because he gets black screen and no post. Also BIOS has nothing to do with drivers, any videocard should work in any bios without any drivers, if it fails to do this then a hardware failure is very possible.
OP try back your nvidia card, if it works then the radeon is fried, if the nvidia doesnt work also then something is wrong with PSU or motherboard.
EDIT: If nvidia works on the same pc and Radeon works on another pc then try to update BIOS.

I had him remove the graphics card and use integrated graphics. Updating the BIOS does affect the motherboards ability to recognize a newer graphics card. And it can also help if the previous BIOS was corrupted.

Jan 16, 2019
Hi guys, thank you for helping me.
So my rig is: Intel i5 3550, MB: Gigabyte GA Z77X D3H, RAM 8GB Kingston, PSU: Corsair GS800W, HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
I will try to update my bios, that rings bells for me.
I assume the radeon is not fried because when I put it in another machine where 460RX was previously, 470 works without problems with monitor connected to it. So back to my machine: as soon as I put RX470 in it, I have no video output from it or even from the motherboard. I even tried with GTX260 and RX470 installed at the same time, GTX260 gives black screen with _ blinking in top left corner. When I remove RX470 out, I have output from GTX. I am typing to you with monitor connected to MB and all graphic cards out... Very interesting...

That's not true. Some newer GPU's GTX10xx series and RX4xx/5xx series won't work on legacy motherboards. So for example some of those cards won't work on an LGA775 mobo, even though it has a PCIe slot! It's mostly to do with UEFI bios's. But it's not true that all cards will work regardless of bios.

It's very true that updating a bios to more recent versions most certainly can have an affect on whether a GPU works or not, as terry4536, correctly said.

It may be the case that that the latest BIOS update will not support the RX 470. But the latest BIOS update has the best chance of supporting it. In this case, the PCI Express x 16 2.0 should be compatible with the modern graphics card.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-D3H-rev-10#sp

No, you misunderstand me, and I completely agree with you. The Z77 should be absolutely fine. No issue at all. I mentioned the LGA775, because it was around the same time the GTX260 were out. Those mobo's more often than not had an older legacy type bios. Anything within the last 5-7 years has a UEFI bios, which means it's not much of an issue. I was mainly just illustrating that not all mobo's and bios's are made equal :)

Certainly though having the most up to date bios is advisable. AND, it may indeed fix the OP's issue.

Solution
Jan 16, 2019
Hi guys, thank you all for helping me. So what I did is next (thanks to you): I updated the BIOS, I disabled integrated graphics card drivers in device manger, set GPU priority to PCI-e in BIOS and shut down the pc in order to put in RX470 and it worked. At last I installed RX radeon drivers. Thank you all!