Question Switching from AMD to Intel

Oct 11, 2019
My current specs are
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+
RAM - 3GB
PSU - 550W
GPU - MSI Geforce GT 710 2GB DDR3 LP

I wanna switch the CPU to Core2Duo 7xxx or 8xxx, RAM.I know that to change CPU and RAM i need first to get a 775 socket motherboard.But do I need also to change the PSU?

Wolfshadw

Titan
No. You won't need to change the power supply for that type of a system modification. Regardless of whether the motherboard socket is S939, AM2, or 775, they all used the same power connectors (unless we're talking a store bought system).

I would question the reasoning behind purchasing such dated equipment.

-Wolf sends

Oct 11, 2019
Core 2 Duo is an Old CPU but its so good for gaming so that's the point why I like it.(I know that it isn't a gaming cpu, but is cheap and good, can run games like csgo, and others.)
If you could help me with some other cheap components I'd be thankful.

MrBird

BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
My current specs are
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3500+
RAM - 3GB
PSU - 550W
GPU - MSI Geforce GT 710 2GB DDR3 LP

I wanna switch the CPU to Core2Duo 7xxx or 8xxx, RAM.I know that to change CPU and RAM i need first to get a 775 socket motherboard.But do I need also to change the PSU?
why switching junk for more junk? doesnt pay for the trouble........ and no....PSU´s are universsal.....they fit any motherboard......in order to switch CPU model/socket you need apropriate mobo with correct socket for the cpu you whant.
Rams you only need to validade max ram speed for the mobo you pick and the type of ram.....wich is ddr/ddr2/ddr3 or ddr4 in your case i think it is ddr2(VERY EXPENSIVE AT THIS TIME becouse it is no longer in production). the GPU as long as it is PCI-E it is also universsal and can fit any mobo....

Oct 11, 2019
Why dude, E8400 its good.
I found E8400, Mobo, 4GB RAM DDR2, and a stock LGA 775 cooler for 50€
It will run Games such CSGO, CS 1.6, Creative Destruction and other games...
These CPU's Ivy Bridge and Sandy will cost 100€ together with RAM and Mobo
in my country.E8400 is same like i3 2,3genth just lil bit slower

Last edited:

MrBird

BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Why dude, E8400 its good.
I found E8400, Mobo, 4GB RAM DDR2, and a stock LGA 775 cooler for 50€
It will run Games such CSGO, CS 1.6, Creative Destruction and other games...
These CPU's Ivy Bridge and Sandy will cost 100€ together with RAM and Mobo
in my country.E8400 is same like i3 2,3genth just lil bit slower
dude......you are talking about 12 years old computer parts.......even your cellphone is more powerfull than that! if you are on a really low budget......try and get Gen4 i5 or i7 with mobo and rams.....it will cost you the same and you will get a MUCH more powerfull hardware!