[SOLVED] Switching from Apple to PC, how does this build look?

andronick

Reputable
Mar 1, 2016
Currently in college for software dev, tried a pc out for a week and realized it to be a much better fit. I liked apple primarily for their design, but realized I could do much of the same with a custom build. I really want my computer to have a modern look, which is why I based a lot of the parts chosen around the look of the component. ie, the case is different from many, all parts try to match a black/white color scheme... etc. gaming is sort of an added feature for me, not my primary reason for this build. i went with the rx 580 because of the price for performance , or whatever Linus from that tech tips show calls it. im worried mainly that its going to be too loud because the case is naturally open. do I need ddr4 3600? (heard it works best with the amd 3 series) is the ssd alright? motherboard?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fwTXmq

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Looks good. You've got more CPU than you need for that GPU, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Typically though, for gaming, it is said that you should budget twice as much money for the GPU as you do the CPU. But I'd rather get the Ryzen 5 3600 now and upgrade the GPU later, rather than getting a lesser CPU. The Ryzen 5 3600 is a very good choice for a long-term CPU.
Looks good. You've got more CPU than you need for that GPU, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Typically though, for gaming, it is said that you should budget twice as much money for the GPU as you do the CPU. But I'd rather get the Ryzen 5 3600 now and upgrade the GPU later, rather than getting a lesser CPU. The Ryzen 5 3600 is a very good choice for a long-term CPU.

Solution

andronick

Reputable
Mar 1, 2016
Looks good. You've got more CPU than you need for that GPU, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Typically though, for gaming, it is said that you should budget twice as much money for the GPU as you do the CPU.
figured i'd keep the option to upgrade it down the road open should i get into the whole gaming thing. really appreciate the feedback though! would you by chance know if that motherboard is suited for the future? i dont mind spending a extra on a better board if it means itll last me an extra couple years. thanks again!

andronick

Reputable
Mar 1, 2016
The 580 actually pairs very well with the 3600 for 1080p gaming. Don't let others make you believe that the 580 isnt good enough for 1080p for the next 1-2 years.
okay that's great. i don't do much heavy gaming anyway. i've decided to postpone the custom build and go with an alternative that makes more sense for my courseload. i'm going with a macbook pro because they recently updated their cpu's (even though theyre still stuck on 8th gen chips), and am wondering exactly how much perfomance I will lose using an egpu with the 580/90

okay that's great. i don't do much heavy gaming anyway. i've decided to postpone the custom build and go with an alternative that makes more sense for my courseload. i'm going with a macbook pro because they recently updated their cpu's (even though theyre still stuck on 8th gen chips), and am wondering exactly how much perfomance I will lose using an egpu with the 580/90
You basically won't be able to do any gaming.