[SOLVED] Switching from fx8350 to i5-2500k

is it worth the trade from fx 8350 on a sabertooth 990fx r2.0

to a

i5 2500k on a sabertooth p67 r3.0? my brther is about to throw it away and i told him i no i want it should i switch my amd out the the intel i hear it's better for gaming
only thing i see wrong with this is i lose 4 cores and 1.2GHz

Last edited:
Solution
If it's free then yes it's worth it. The 2500K has 4 much stronger cores and only loses to the FX 8350 in a few highly threaded applications - and even then barely.
It also overlcocks well generally if that interests you. For gaming it's a much better CPU.

But if you are spending money then it's not so easy, both are old tech from 2011/2012 and will likely not be able to play all the latest games very well for much longer.
There are probably some games already that will run poorly on either.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
If it's free then yes it's worth it. The 2500K has 4 much stronger cores and only loses to the FX 8350 in a few highly threaded applications - and even then barely.
It also overlcocks well generally if that interests you. For gaming it's a much better CPU.

But if you are spending money then it's not so easy, both are old tech from 2011/2012 and will likely not be able to play all the latest games very well for much longer.

Solution

thank you i appreciate it i will keep my build the way it is. it's not worth 10 fps jump in csgo to tear apart my pc and put it back together. it's free but my fx 8350 be is oc'd to 4.8ghz and plays the way i like i might as well have let him throw it away :/ it's sad i hate to see computers go to waste. i would have at least liked to use it for movies but not really worth building off of if in 2 years it wont even read new video formats

The thing with video playback is a cheap graphics card with hardware decoding support generally sorts that out.
But that's up to you. I'd keep it as a backup if it was me, no guarantees with hardware that age and yours could run for years or die tomorrow.
i Agree however im sticking with my build because the sabertooth 990fx r2.0 was designed around windows 10 the p67 is a windows 7 supported board

The thing with video playback is a cheap graphics card with hardware decoding support generally sorts that out.
But that's up to you. I'd keep it as a backup if it was me, no guarantees with hardware that age and yours could run for years or die tomorrow.
I was thinking about this post the other night, and realized i didn't fully comprehend what you were saying. Thanks I actually respect that recommendation, i will use my spare 750 wat and blu-ray 3d 4k optical drive with the random case in my attic "needs cleaned bad first but o well" and order a 1070 ssc ti tomorrow and build a new movie streaming pc