Question Switching from HDD to SSD, how can I keep my files without a disk image?

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
Is it possible for me to perform a fresh windows installation on my SSD, and just plug my HDD in (it has windows on it tho) and then transfer the files I want through the file explorer while they are both connected? I want to keep my windows settings and preferences tho.

USAFRet

Titan
Is it possible for me to perform a fresh windows installation on my SSD, and just plug my HDD in (it has windows on it tho) and then transfer the files I want through the file explorer while they are both connected? I want to keep my windows settings and preferences tho.
"I want to keep my windows settings and preferences tho."

No.

You can maybe do a migration/clone (if conditions permit). This is basically a 1:1 copy from the HDD to SSD.

Or you can do a clean install. Which is a blank slate...you can't keep settings from the old OS.

Mockingjason

Commendable
May 22, 2019
"I want to keep my windows settings and preferences tho."

No.

You can maybe do a migration/clone (if conditions permit). This is basically a 1:1 copy from the HDD to SSD.

Or you can do a clean install. Which is a blank slate...you can't keep settings from the old OS.
I just used my old HDD as a secondary drive and cut-pasted every file to my SSD. Was it a bad idea? Could it cause any errors?

You can copy things fine, but, it , the system will not boot from the SSD. (An OS, registry, boot loader, and all apps are not simply drag and drop affairs to move)

If you want your OS on the SSD, clone it/migrate it with appropriate software like Macrium Reflect, CLonezilla, or Acronis True Image. (I've used Macrium Reflect for migrations several times, it is quite nice! Samsung SSDs allow using Samsung's Migration Tool..

Latest posts