Switching from HDMI to DVI to DVI to SVGA Sound Not Working

RichardVG

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I recently got an HDTV/TV Monitor for my computer. I am running Windows 7 32bit Home Premium. When I plug in my gfx card (Nvidia gtx 460) with a DVI cable to HDMI into the TV and switch the source to HDMI I can play sound through the TV. However, I noticed that the quality of picture was severely degraded and so I changed the connection from DVI to HDMI to DVI to SVGA via the PC In portion of the TV. The picture is now very crisp and this is the way I want it but now i've got an (x) over the sound icon in the bottom right of the screen and I cannot get sound to play through the speakers. I've re-loaded the sound drivers and that didn't work, when I click on the sound icon it tries to find a solution to the problem but then says there isn't a problem and that it's working fine.

I plugged the HDMI to DVI cable into the second DVI connection on the graphics card and still have the TV sourced to PC In instead of HDMI. This makes the (x) disappear and it shows sound playing but I can't get sound to come out of any speaker still. As if it would play sound through the TV if I were to switch to HDMI source.

I have no idea what to do, anyone have any ideas?