[SOLVED] switching from i3-3240 to i5-3470

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 30, 2021
I want to upgrade from my i3-3240, to a i5-3470. I have two questions though. My motherboard is ECS H61H2-M6 v1.0 and according to this website: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/H61H2-M6(V1.0).html my motherboard supports the cpu but I just want to be sure of it. And the 2nd question is, can I use the stock cooler that came with my i3, or would the i5 get too hot?

Solution
Does the fan go to 100% by itself if the cpu gets too hot or do I have to change it manually?
If it's working correctly, it will ramp up properly. But I've seen this not work properly and cook stuff before so I manually set it. You sometimes have an option in the bios, but if you don't, you simply pull the blue pin out from the fan header and seal it in tape so it doesn't contact anything. You can pull the pin out easily by using a paperclip to press the small pin release on the fan header.
Does the fan go to 100% by itself if the cpu gets too hot or do I have to change it manually?
If it's working correctly, it will ramp up properly. But I've seen this not work properly and cook stuff before so I manually set it. You sometimes have an option in the bios, but if you don't, you simply pull the blue pin out from the fan header and seal it in tape so it doesn't contact anything. You can pull the pin out easily by using a paperclip to press the small pin release on the fan header.

Solution
Actually, double-checking the bios versions needed to support your i3, you already have the newest version that supports the i5, so it should just work. If it doesn't, just put your i3 back in and make sure that works and we can try other stuff to figure out what's going on.

May 30, 2021
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

May 30, 2021
Actually, double-checking the bios versions needed to support your i3, you already have the newest version that supports the i5, so it should just work. If it doesn't, just put your i3 back in and make sure that works and we can try other stuff to figure out what's going on.
Okay, it'll probably arrive later this week or early next week so I'll write again if it doesn't work, thanks for the help!

May 30, 2021
I would spend the money to get a better cooler. This one would be sufficient, and is fairly inexpensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler (€20.99 @ Aquatuning)
Total: €20.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-08 22:12 CEST+0200
I'm on a very low budget so I'm gonna try to get by with the stock one but if I start having problems, I'll be sure to try it out, thanks for the suggestion!

I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
You're welcome. For the record, I've regularly put 95w processors under 65w heatsinks using this method without an issue as long as all the fans were forced to 100%. Only the super-hot 4790k didn't like this and would throttle under load so I had to upgrade its cooler.
Okay, it'll probably arrive later this week or early next week so I'll write again if it doesn't work, thanks for the help!
It should work fine as long as it is a genuine used chip. Anything sold as 'new' is going to be fake/full of malware/doa.

May 30, 2021
You're welcome. For the record, I've regularly put 95w processors under 65w heatsinks using this method without an issue as long as all the fans were forced to 100%. Only the super-hot 4790k didn't like this and would throttle under load so I had to upgrade its cooler.
It should work fine as long as it is a genuine used chip. Anything sold as 'new' is going to be fake/full of malware/doa.
Yeah, it was used so that price is understandable I guess, thanks again

May 30, 2021
Nice. You should be in great shape. Be sure to post back and let us know how it went! :)
Got the cpu, it works but it is running quite hot, probably because the thermal paste was so old and it was only a tiny bit of it so might have to get some new fresh thermal paste but other then that it works, so thank you very much for the help!

Got the cpu, it works but it is running quite hot, probably because the thermal paste was so old and it was only a tiny bit of it so might have to get some new fresh thermal paste but other then that it works, so thank you very much for the help!
If you didn't use fresh paste, that's the real problem--I wouldn't run the system like that as you might burn it up. Get some paste--best buy has some good stuff for like $7 that you can just get and go home and install immediately. You should see temps drop dramatically with proper paste.

Reactions: Cactus 52
May 30, 2021
If you didn't use fresh paste, that's the real problem--I wouldn't run the system like that as you might burn it up. Get some paste--best buy has some good stuff for like $7 that you can just get and go home and install immediately. You should see temps drop dramatically with proper paste.
Yup, already ordered some paste, I'm sure it will be better when I apply that so thanks again for all the help!

May 30, 2021
Applied some fresh paste, temps are now reasonable, thanks again for all the help!

Reactions: SamirD