[SOLVED] Switching from Intel to AMD CPU

sjenvey777

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
Hi guys,

I’m looking to upgrade my CPU as its feeling a little dated for what I need it to do.

I’m looking between the Intel 10900k or the Rysen 5900x (Like 80% sold on the 5900x)

I’ve always been with a intel for no reason at all, So I’m not sure if I have to swap anything out like my motherboard,

Here are my specs right now.

CPU - I5 8600k 3.60GHz
MotherBoard - AsusTeK Prime Z370-A (LGA1151)
GPU - Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070
Storage - 970 EVO NVME M.2 1TB .... 256GB SSD
RAM - 48GB RAM ,Pretty sure its DDR4 2x16GB AND 2x8GB, (4 sticks total)

So weighing this all up I think it’s only my motherboard that I’ll need to swap out and obviously the CPU if I went down the AMD route. But I just wanted to put this out there to see if I’m missing anything else.

If in fact I need to swap out the motherboard what am I looking for to make it compatible?

Thanks in advanced, If there is anything else I should think about please feel free to ask/post.

Solution
You have the ability to overclock your 8600K processor.
5.0 is possible with a good cooler.
The added single thread performance would be particularly beneficial to CSGO.
as of 3/22/2018
What % of I5-8600k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore of 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 96%
5.0 85%
5.1 66%
5.2 38%
5.3 13%

Note the delidded caveat.
delidding reduces the need for good cooling.

You will need a good cooler.
Most any strong processor will need a strong cooler for best performance.
What is the make/model of your case?
If you have 160mm headroom, a good twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s or DRP5 pro would do the job.

Your strongest cpu upgrade using your motherboard would be the i9-9900K.
A i7-9700K is also an option...
Hi guys,

I’m looking to upgrade my CPU as its feeling a little dated for what I need it to do.

I’m looking between the Intel 10900k or the Rysen 5900x (Like 80% sold on the 5900x)

I’ve always been with a intel for no reason at all, So I’m not sure if I have to swap anything out like my motherboard,

Here are my specs right now.

CPU - I5 8600k 3.60GHz
MotherBoard - AsusTeK Prime Z370-A (LGA1151)
GPU - Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070
Storage - 970 EVO NVME M.2 1TB .... 256GB SSD
RAM - 48GB RAM ,Pretty sure its DDR4 2x16GB AND 2x8GB, (4 sticks total)

So weighing this all up I think it’s only my motherboard that I’ll need to swap out and obviously the CPU if I went down the AMD route. But I just wanted to put this out there to see if I’m missing anything else.

If in fact I need to swap out the motherboard what am I looking for to make it compatible?

Thanks in advanced, If there is anything else I should think about please feel free to ask/post.
What do you do with your computer? If only gaming, it's doubtful you'll improve performance appreciably by changing from what you have now.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
amd has the fastest chips right now so if you chose to upgrade that is the no brainer way to go. at 1080p gaming you'll see a solid upgrade with a 5000 series AMD cpu for sure. a good 25-30% if you go with a 5900x. that increase lowers as you up the resolution. so consider that fact if you game at 1440p or 4k resolutions.

sjenvey777

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
What do you do with your computer? If only gaming, it's doubtful you'll improve performance appreciably by changing from what you have now.

Hey thanks for the replies so far guys,

I understand that upgrading this will not enhance my gaming experience all that much, However I do play CSGO a lot which is a more CPU based game so should help a bit, and I do game between 1080p and 1440p depending on the game, But this isn't the primary reason for it, I work with a lot of Virtual machines all at one time and my CPU right now just cannot handle it plus running heavy excel sheets a long with some other software,

For what I paid for my CPU the resell value right now I'm pretty happy with for using it for 2-3 years now, So I would like to upgrade it,

sjenvey777

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
Also in the near future I will probably swap out the 2070 given what's coming out right now in the past couple of months but they are a pain to get hold off right now and isn't super important,

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i also am a heavy user of virtual machines and other such activities on my pc. i went with a 3700x for my 6 month old build and have not looked back. those extra cores/threads and lots of ram allow me to run multiple vm's at a time and do what i desire with them. a 5900x would of course give you even more resources to work with and might even be a bit of overkill unless you plan on running many vm's at once. i'd think somewhere in the middle such as the 5800x would be ample for average home use. but hey if you really want to go nuts, then the 5900x would offer tons of cores to spread around various vm's :)

Wolfshadw

Titan
And just because I haven't seen it mentioned in a response as yet, either upgrade option will require a new motherboard.
For Intel 10th Gen Core I-series processors, you'll need a socket LGA1200 motherboard.
For AMD 5th Gen Ryzen processors, you will need a motherboard with the AM4 socket and B550 or X570 chip set (B450/X470 boards will likely need a BIOS update to be compatible).
Your RAM you can likely move forward to the new motherboard.

-Wolf sends

You have the ability to overclock your 8600K processor.
5.0 is possible with a good cooler.
The added single thread performance would be particularly beneficial to CSGO.
as of 3/22/2018
What % of I5-8600k chips can oc
at a aggressive vcore of 1.4 or so and delidded
4.9 96%
5.0 85%
5.1 66%
5.2 38%
5.3 13%

Note the delidded caveat.
delidding reduces the need for good cooling.

You will need a good cooler.
Most any strong processor will need a strong cooler for best performance.
What is the make/model of your case?
If you have 160mm headroom, a good twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15s or DRP5 pro would do the job.

A i7-9700K is also an option. either would likely to oc near 5.0.
You now have 6 threads, the 9700K would have 8 and the 9900K would have 16.
Most games will not make EFFECTIVE use of more than 6 threads.
There are exceptions, mainly multiplayer with many participants.

Today, I am impressed with the 19% IPC gains of the ryzen 5000 series processors.
You would also need a new motherboard .
ryzen is picky about ram; I am not so certain that your current ram setup would work well. ryzen needs fast ram for best performance.

I7-10700K as an upgrade would be comparable to the 9900K.
It would need a Z490 based motherboard.

Considering the newness of ryzen 5000 I would not jump on it if stability is a requirement for you.
There are inevitable glitches with new motherboards.

If overclocking is an option for you, I would try that first.

Solution

sjenvey777

Honorable
Apr 20, 2018
Thanks guys for the replies,

In the end I went with the 5900x it's on pre order with a Motherboard. Like you say @geofelt I'd need a decent cooler in which I plan on researching in the next few days, My case isn't anything special it's here (Case) not sure what clearance I have but glad you bought it up as something I will look into.

I would say that your cpu is actually still very solid, i would not upgrade, but if you feel you need then thats all that matters, with it said, the best option right now is the ryzen 5600x period, theres 0 sense on 5800 or 5900 for your 'normal user/gamer' anythive above 5600 is just more cores and that only benefits stuff like encoding, editting--work related stuff.

however intels 11 gen is coming very soon, i would def wait to see if they have anythin that would put em back on top again, again to me the 8600 is an absolutelly solid cpu specially if you overclock.

A i7-9700K is also an option. either would likely to oc near 5.0.

You now have 6 threads, the 9700K would have 8 and the 9900K would have 16.

I agree that the i9-9900K might be worth considering, as it's currently possible to get them for as little as $320 at online retailers in the US...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8jdrxr/intel-core-i9-9900k-36-ghz-8-core-processor-bx806849900k

The 9900K performs very similar to an i7-10700K, with the same number of cores and threads and similar clocks, but is currently priced lower and should be compatible with your existing motherboard (though it might require a BIOS update first).

The i9-10900K does add an additional 2-cores and 4-threads, which might potentially be useful for your VMs, but it costs around $220 more, and would require a new motherboard. The same can be said about the 5900X. As it is, even going from 6-cores, 6-threads to 8-cores, 16-threads with a 9900K should be a rather large improvement to heavily-multithreaded performance though, unless you really feel you need more cores for what you do.