[SOLVED] Switching from Intel to AMD ryzen, W10 can I keep programs installed?

Apr 24, 2020
Hi,
My mobo/cpu died recently so im doing a mayor hardware change. Searching around forums I found that the best way is to do a fresh install of W10 when switching from intel to amd.
However, I was using an ssd as a boot drive on my old build.
If I reinstall W10 on this very drive does it mean all my programs get wiped? or is there any way I can switch the OS without losing the programs? How do I go about it?
I don't care much about the files as I have a fairly recent backup.

These are the parts im switching from/to

OLD:
Asus Maximus Gene Vii
Intel Core i7 4790i
Asus Strix GeForce 750ti
Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3

New:
AsRock Gaming x570 Steel Legend
Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte GeForce 1660
Corsair Vengance pro 16GB ddr4

My boot drive is a SSD Sandisk Plus 480 gb

I have another SSD with more programs and a HDD seagate Barracuda 1TB with only files in it.
As you can see I'm switching pretty much everything except for the PSU, the CPU cooler and the SSD's/HDD

Thank you very much for your help.

Solution
While windows 10 is more forgiving than previous versions of windows, moving to a new hardware architecture will generally mean doing a wipe/clean install.

Your old install MIGHT work with driver updates (expect to chase software gremlins or odd behaviors), may work (but slowly), may frequently crash, may not work at all.

A clean install recommended.
While windows 10 is more forgiving than previous versions of windows, moving to a new hardware architecture will generally mean doing a wipe/clean install.

Your old install MIGHT work with driver updates (expect to chase software gremlins or odd behaviors), may work (but slowly), may frequently crash, may not work at all.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
You basically have a new PC. On new hardware you always better off reinstalling windows even if its just to clear drivers, it might also be faster.

There is a chance it would work fine but it opens up fun things like windows deactivating itself once it contacts an activation server and the hardware doesn't match what they have recorded. And random errors.

Was your licence linked to a Microsoft account? it makes it easier to move to new board if it is. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Apr 24, 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the possible problems it might bring, as @siaan312 also said, it is more of a hassle to try and fix any errors than to just do a clean install.
In the grand scheme i would much rather not be chasing bugs after. It's just not worth it.

Sadly my W10 license was linked to my hardware so I had to get a new one. Luckly for me my college gives them for free, so it wasnt much trouble. From personal experience I would recommend checking first if yourt license is digital.

Thank you for taking the time, this is my first time asking a question and im impressed with how fast I got an answer.

Thank you!