[SOLVED] Switching from Ryzen to Intel for upgrade, need help!

Mar 22, 2020
So here’s the situation, I’m looking to switch from a Ryzen 5 1600 to an Intel i5 9600k to improve gaming performance, and to pair with my new 3060ti. I’ll obviously also need to switch from my b350 motherboard to a z390 or similar.

My main concern is that I’ve read when switching motherboards you should really do a clean windows install. Im currently running only one drive Samsung 860 EVO SSD (with windows installed and all my data, games, etc). What’s the best method for doing this transfer and clean install?

Also, when I originally downloaded windows I used a usb boot drive and Windows key code off the Microsoft website. I’d like to do this whole process without having to purchase another Windows OS. What’s the best method for keeping that consistent throughout the process?

Thanks so much in advance!

Solution
Ryzen 5 1600 to an Intel i5 9600k
That would be a side-grade.
Sure, the 9600K is faster, but there's no way at all to make up for the lack of threads(just 6) if they become necessary.

You have a B350 motherboard, so technically, you should be able to pop a Ryzen 3600 in there after updating the bios...

My main concern is that I’ve read when switching motherboards you should really do a clean windows install. Im currently running only one drive Samsung 860 EVO SSD (with windows installed and all my data, games, etc). What’s the best method for doing this transfer and clean install?

Also, when I originally downloaded windows I used a usb boot drive and Windows key code off the Microsoft website. I’d like to do this whole...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen 5 1600 to an Intel i5 9600k
Sure, the 9600K is faster, but there's no way at all to make up for the lack of threads(just 6) if they become necessary.

You have a B350 motherboard, so technically, you should be able to pop a Ryzen 3600 in there after updating the bios...

Also, when I originally downloaded windows I used a usb boot drive and Windows key code off the Microsoft website. I’d like to do this whole process without having to purchase another Windows OS. What’s the best method for keeping that consistent throughout the process?
How to clean install and keep your activation right here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Solution
Mar 22, 2020

How to clean install and keep your activation right here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Thanks for the quick reply and the link to the FAQ, it looks very promising. As for the 3600, will I notice much of an improvement compared to my current 1600 with an all core OC @ 3.7GHz? I guess I just want to ensure I’m getting maximum value with the 3060ti. It’s very possible I make the jump to 1440p soon and I’ve read cpu bottlenecking concerns go down with upgrades resolution.

As for the 3600, will I notice much of an improvement compared to my current 1600 with an all core OC @ 3.7GHz? I guess I just want to ensure I’m getting maximum value with the 3060ti. It’s very possible I make the jump to 1440p soon and I’ve read cpu bottlenecking concerns go down with upgrades resolution.
Ohh u will see improved performances; there will be major improvements if u pair it with the 3060ti...
with the same gpu and 3600 u will experience 10-15 fps at minimum better although depends on the game...
if u r going with 9600k, it will be wise to go for 10600k or 10700f... But why waste ur old motherboard and waste money on a new z390 boards... save that money and even go higher like 3700, although it wudnt mean better fps but the 8 cores helps for future upcoming games... Also what motherboard u have matters as a cheap b350 motherboard may run into some vrm heating issues with the 3700 if overclocked...

Endre

Reputable
So here’s the situation, I’m looking to switch from a Ryzen 5 1600 to an Intel i5 9600k to improve gaming performance, and to pair with my new 3060ti. I’ll obviously also need to switch from my b350 motherboard to a z390 or similar.

Thanks so much in advance!

First of all, if you’re buying such a cool GPU, I wouldn’t pair it with anything less than an i7-9700K.

Secondly, you need to create 2 partitions on your drive, one for the OS, and one for your files, so that you won’t lose your files when re-installing Windows.

Thirdly, yes, you do need to re-install Windows clean after a CPU upgrade (Format partition C).

PS: Before proceeding, you must save all of your files on another drive.

Thirdly, yes, you do need to re-install Windows clean after a CPU upgrade (Format partition C).
This is only applicable when changing platforms (chipset/socket) or sometimes with a motherboard swap with the same chipset and reusing the same CPU. The only thing you need to do or should have to do when swapping CPUs on the same motherboard, is reset the bios to defaults.

You also won't stop issues with DRM activations by reinstalling Windows after a CPU swap, assuming the DRM is sensitive to that type of hardware change. You would want to deactivate the key on the system if possible, before reinstalling Windows in that case.

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
This is only applicable when changing platforms (chipset/socket) or sometimes with a motherboard swap with the same chipset and reusing the same CPU. The only thing you need to do or should have to do when swapping CPUs on the same motherboard, is reset the bios to defaults.

You also won't stop issues with DRM activations by reinstalling Windows after a CPU swap, assuming the DRM is sensitive to that type of hardware change. You would want to deactivate the key on the system if possible, before reinstalling Windows in that case.

By only resetting BIOS after a CPU swap you don’t solve all issues. You can still end up with weird errors.
Re-installing Windows clean is safer and it only takes between 6’ to 20’.

By only resetting BIOS after a CPU swap you don’t solve all issues. You can still end up with weird errors.
Re-installing Windows clean is safer and it only takes between 6’ to 20’.
I'm not saying it hasn't happened to people before, but I've personally never seen or heard of anyone having any issue with their Windows XP/7/8/10 installation becoming unstable, faulty or some other Windows and software related problem after changing the CPU on the same motherboard. I have however seen people have DRM issues with games after just a CPU upgrade on the same motherboard.

When using Windows 10 and you have an OEM license, you might have to log in to your MS account and reactivate the license issued for that PC after changing the CPU, but that would probably be the extent of any real issues. I can't think of any good reason to reinstall Windows otherwise.