Switching GPU to Different PCI Slot Requires Reinstallation of Drivers

Aug 5, 2018
I have 2 GTX 680s in SLI, and moving one of my cards (the one my monitors aren't connected to) to a different PCI slot (3.0 16x) caused my graphics drivers to be seemingly nonexistent upon start up. My resolution was low, but after reinstalling the driver everything returned back to normal. I was and am running the latest driver. Any help?

Motherboard: Asus P9X79 Deluxe
GPU: 2 x GTX 680 Reference Card
CPU: i7 3820 @ 3.6 GHz
Storage: WD Black 2TB

Solution
A common cause of the MEMORY MANAGEMENT error is a damaged, outdated or incorrect video card driver. And so to fix the error you need to update your video card driver to the most recent correct version.
software or hardware conflict
virus infection
faulty memory
disk errors

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Normally If you move the card to a different PCIe slot Windows will re-enumerate the card as a new device in that slot (unless the card has been installed in that slot before) and automatically re-install the drivers for the card in that slot. In your case for some reason this has not occurred. In my case I have 2 Gtx 980ti but they are different serials: 06G-P4-4995-KR and the other 06G-P4-4990-KR. When I switched them it take 4-10seconds for Windows automatically re-install the drivers for the card in that slot. Now that you have installed drivers try switching them back again and wait and see if Windows corrects this issue. If not, don't worry about it( you have installed the drivers and your system is fine. I dont think this is a problem

Aug 5, 2018

I forgot to mention that I also got a BSOD with stop code MEMORY_MANAGMENT on first start up, which I read can be a driver related issue.

DarkEngine

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
A common cause of the MEMORY MANAGEMENT error is a damaged, outdated or incorrect video card driver. And so to fix the error you need to update your video card driver to the most recent correct version.
software or hardware conflict
virus infection
faulty memory
disk errors

Solution

TRENDING THREADS