Switching Hard Drives

anonyboy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I want to switch an IDE hard drive from a spare desktop to my personal desktop computer.

My comp currently has 2 hard drives.
Master - IC35L030AVER07-0 28gb
Slave - WDC WD1600AAJB-00PVA0 149gb
I recently reformatted it and made the slave drive my primary drive.

my spare computer is very old and not being used anymore and has just the 1 hard drive.
WDC WD1600AAJB-00WRA0 149gb

I'm not much of a hardware person. I've never installed new hardware into my comp myself. Only time I ever even opened it was to check my power supply. Can I switch my Master drive (the 28gb) for the one in my spare comp? And how do I do this?

wing2010

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
On your HDD in between the cable connector and power connector, there are usually 3 sets of jumpers - master, slave, & cable-select. IIRC, without jumper is single drive configuration.

All you need to do is to set the spare drive (149GB) to Master and the original master drive (28GB) to single drive. After that, install back to the systems and reload your OS.

HTH.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Set your boot drive as Primary Master, Optical drive Primary Slave, the other drives if using both set one as Secondry Master the other as Secondry Slave.
Make sure to set your bios to make your boot drive the first boot device and save the settings.

anonyboy

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
how do I set a drive to master? what do you mean install back to the systems and reload OS? I don't have to reformat do I?

Sorry, I'm confused and not quite sure what this stuff means lol. I just want to take the 28gb HDD out and put it into the spare computer, and take the 149gb HDD out of the spare computer and putting it into my computer. Currently the 28gb HDD in my comp has nothing on it even though it's the Master drive. When I reformatted, I made my slave drive the primary drive, drive C.