[SOLVED] Switching HDDs between two (almost) exact same specifications

Mar 9, 2022
My Dell Latitude just broke recently but luckily I was able to get the HDD out. Now I'm thinking of buying that exact same model again, though I've upgraded the RAM on my old one but I don't think it would make too much of a difference. If I do that, would my Windows function normally or at least has a higher chance of doing so?
By the way, the new laptop I would buy is a Japanese model with Japanese keyboard layout but the old one the US layout with Japanese locale. Does it matter? I want to be sure.

My Dell Latitude just broke recently but luckily I was able to get the HDD out. Now I'm thinking of buying that exact same model again, though I've upgraded the RAM on my old one but I don't think it would make too much of a difference. If I do that, would my Windows function normally or at least has a higher chance of doing so?
By the way, the new laptop I would buy is a Japanese model with Japanese keyboard layout but the old one the US layout with Japanese locale. Does it matter? I want to be sure.
Windows (which ones?) should work, keyboard settings you can change and memory isn't a problem but as windows are most certainly OEM version, their license is tied to particular MB /PC they came with. Is there a sticker with Windows registration on old and new machines ?

Mar 9, 2022
Windows (which ones?) should work, keyboard settings you can change and memory isn't a problem but as windows are most certainly OEM version, their license is tied to particular MB /PC they came with. Is there a sticker with Windows registration on old and new machines ?
Thanks for the reply. I have Windows 10 and I'm willing to contact Microsoft for activation related stuff

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
1 - If W10 is retail version and you have the activation key, everything is perfect.
2 - If W10 was upgraded from retail versions of W7 or W8, in some cases the keys work. If not, contact Microsoft.
3 - If W10 is O&M, but you have linked the installation, even if it is a W7 or W8 upgrade to a verified Microsoft account, you can contact them to try activation again.
4 - If the W10 is O&M, but you have NOT linked the installation, even if it is a W7 or W8 upgrade to a verified Microsoft account, you will not be able to activate it.