switching motherboards and RAID0 striping

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Let's say someone has one type of motherboard, and they've got a
built-in RAID controller on it, which they're using in RAID 0 mode
(striping). Then later due to some reason or another they need to change
out the motherboard, due to an upgrade or a failure or whatever. Will
getting another motherboard with a built-in (or even an add-in card)
RAID controller feature work with the old setup? Do you have to keep the
chipset brands the same (eg. Promise vs. Adaptec, etc.)?

Actually this question also applies to RAID 1 configs (mirroring).

Yousuf Khan

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> Let's say someone has one type of motherboard, and they've got a
> built-in RAID controller on it, which they're using in RAID 0 mode
> (striping). Then later due to some reason or another they need to change
> out the motherboard, due to an upgrade or a failure or whatever. Will
> getting another motherboard with a built-in (or even an add-in card)
> RAID controller feature work with the old setup? Do you have to keep the
> chipset brands the same (eg. Promise vs. Adaptec, etc.)?
>
> Actually this question also applies to RAID 1 configs (mirroring).
>
> Yousuf Khan

I have seen the discussion here before. You should Google the topic. Anyway,
the conclusion is that not only you need the same brand, you need the same
model. You probably should buy the same model of mobo from EBay.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:08:40 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>Let's say someone has one type of motherboard, and they've got a
>built-in RAID controller on it, which they're using in RAID 0 mode
>(striping). Then later due to some reason or another they need to change
>out the motherboard, due to an upgrade or a failure or whatever. Will
>getting another motherboard with a built-in (or even an add-in card)
>RAID controller feature work with the old setup? Do you have to keep the
> chipset brands the same (eg. Promise vs. Adaptec, etc.)?
>
>Actually this question also applies to RAID 1 configs (mirroring).

Most of the RAID-1 docs tell you to install the OS first on a single drive
with normal mbrd IDE controller... then load the RAID drivers into the OS,
then shutdown and transfer the drives to the RAID controller and build the
RAID array from the controller's BIOS or even in the OS itself using the
RAID drivers. So unless the docs say different, the disk sector layouts
have to be the same as any other IDE controller. If you switch RAID
controllers, which is essentially what your saying, the worst you have to
do is rebuild the mirror. If the new RAID controller is by the same mfr
you might get lucky and not have to do anything except load slightly
different drivers before the switch.

Of course the other nice thing about RAID-1 is that you have a mirror
anyway - you can power one off for the switch and even make an extra spare.
I've done this with our Promise Superswaps and it's always nice to know you
have another "backup". I've also used BootitNG's Partition Management to
repartition our server with just one drive connected to the Promise
controller, then checked the boot and startup works before turning the 2nd
drive on.

For RAID-0, there may be some RAID management info transfer/conversion
utilities kicking around, possibly intra-manufacturer... maybe even cross
manufacturer, but I've never looked since I wouldn't touch RAID-0 for a
bootable drive anyway. I think I'd recommend getting a copy of Backup MyPC
from NewEgg for $38. and backing up to DVD+R before diving in.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald