[SOLVED] Switching my Nvidia gpus out question

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I am getting my new 3070ti in today and im replacing it in my current build with my 2070 super founders edition. I've already downloaded DDU and the latest nvidia driver to safely clean install the drivers once I install the new card.

Both gpus have the same connections, a 6 +2 pin and a 8 pin. I already have these coming off the power supply for my 2070 super, so I should just be able to plug this into my 3070 ti correct? Also, does it matter which 8 pin connector on the gpu gets the solid 8 pin and the 6+2 pin? Their both technically 8 pins im just not familiar with why one has the 2 pin separate from the other six.

Solution
Both gpus have the same connections, a 6 +2 pin and a 8 pin. I already have these coming off the power supply for my 2070 super, so I should just be able to plug this into my 3070 ti correct?
Yes
lso, does it matter which 8 pin connector on the gpu gets the solid 8 pin and the 6+2 pin?
No
Their both technically 8 pins im just not familiar with why one has the 2 pin separate from the other six.
Some cards need just 6 pin. PSUs used to have separate set of 6-pin cables and 8-pin cables. Having just one set of cables with modifable plug is simply cheaper (and easier to use on non-modular units).
Both gpus have the same connections, a 6 +2 pin and a 8 pin. I already have these coming off the power supply for my 2070 super, so I should just be able to plug this into my 3070 ti correct?
Yes
lso, does it matter which 8 pin connector on the gpu gets the solid 8 pin and the 6+2 pin?
No
Their both technically 8 pins im just not familiar with why one has the 2 pin separate from the other six.
Some cards need just 6 pin. PSUs used to have separate set of 6-pin cables and 8-pin cables. Having just one set of cables with modifable plug is simply cheaper (and easier to use on non-modular units).

Solution