Switching old External HDD case: Is it possible?

maraya21

Reputable
Aug 15, 2017
I have a 500GB Western Digital External HDD. Problem: It's USB cable has started to fail it seems. When i connect it to my laptop (or any other computer) I can't even breathe too loud close to it otherwise it will forcefully disconnect.
That had cost me all my stored data on it 3-4 years as no computer was able to recognise the drive and so i was forced to format it.

Now because the drive is so freaking old i can't find a new cable to buy to replace the old one. I bought the drive in 2008 along with my laptop.

I was hence thinking: Could i simply switch cases?
I recently bought a case for my old Internal drive. I'm in the process of cloning & switching my old Internal HDD with a new one.
So can i do the same for my External HDD?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Isn't it just a micro or mini USB connector on the hdd? In that case just buy a new micro or mini to USB type A cable.
If you can switch cases depends on the hdd inside. If it's a standard sata disk, then yes you can just switch it over to a new case. But some of these external hdd are not sata.
Isn't it just a micro or mini USB connector on the hdd? In that case just buy a new micro or mini to USB type A cable.
If you can switch cases depends on the hdd inside. If it's a standard sata disk, then yes you can just switch it over to a new case. But some of these external hdd are not sata.

Solution