[SOLVED] Switching on my PC drops my powerline speed

Mar 18, 2020
Hey all, title says it all.
My powerline adapter and my pc are connected to different sockets in my room. Could this be something to do with the power supply unit? Switching on my pc cuts my download speed in half.
Thanks.

Solution
The way you would tell is turn off the circuit breaker that controls the powerline unit. If your PC also loses power it is on the same circuit.

It is uncommon but power supply in a PC can interfere with powerline units. Not sure how this happens but you see people who report they put a new power supply in their machine and started to have issues.

Some things that can fix that are a simple extension cord or a power strip that has surge protection. You plug the pc into these not the powerline unit that needs to go directly in the wall.

You might try plugging your pc into the router. If I read it right your connection is router and PC plugged into the powerline unit on one end and other stuff plugged into the powerline unit...
Mar 18, 2020
More information needed.

Are both sockets on the same circuit?

And you are running an ethernet cable from the powerline adapter in your room to the pc's ethenet [LAN] port - correct?

Where are the router and the other powerline adapter located?

How many other devices on your network?
I am unsure if both sockets are on the same circuit as I do not have an electrical map of my house wiring. Yes I am running an ethernet cable from the powerline adapter to my PC's lan port. The router is connected from an extension cord running from the pass-through outlet of my powerline adapter. The other powerline adapter is on the 2nd floor, 1 floor below me. There are no other devices on my router's network.

The way you would tell is turn off the circuit breaker that controls the powerline unit. If your PC also loses power it is on the same circuit.

It is uncommon but power supply in a PC can interfere with powerline units. Not sure how this happens but you see people who report they put a new power supply in their machine and started to have issues.

Some things that can fix that are a simple extension cord or a power strip that has surge protection. You plug the pc into these not the powerline unit that needs to go directly in the wall.

You might try plugging your pc into the router. If I read it right your connection is router and PC plugged into the powerline unit on one end and other stuff plugged into the powerline unit on the far end.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
I have sort of the same question:

Is it Powerline adapter [LAN] -----ethernet cable -----> Router
[LAN] -----ethernet cable ------>PC

In other words you are using both LAN ports on the far end Powerline adapter?

Or (as I would expect and per @bill001g) the connections would be more like:

Modem ----Ethernet cable --- >Powerline adapter ===AC circuit ===> Powerline adapter --->[WAN] Router[LAN] ----Ethernet cable ----> PC

PC being plugged into the router.

Or some other connection path?

Make and model powerline adapters?