Switching onboard graphics , to NVidia graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alucardseres

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello Everybody, my name is Javier Tejeda Jr.

I have an Asus X53SV-RH71 i7-2670Q. Now here is the thing. I have an Intel graphics family card. But there is also a card called a Nvidia GEForceGT540M 1gb dedicated graphics. Now I have two questions for the community. Now I believe they are both enabled but the main graphics card is the integrated one. My first question is does it matter which one is the main graphics card. Like would I get more graphics performance if I switched to the Nvidia graphics card.

Now the second question is..........
2. Can you guys teach me how to switch the Nvidia to the main graphics card ?

Here's a little more intel on my issue. I have already tried disabling the intel integrated graphics card, but the screen goes black and that makes me think that I cannot disable it.

So I tried disabling it in safe mode. I restarted the computer and then it didn't recognize that I even had a graphics card. Is there something I'm missing or something I did incorrectly or advanced settings I need to adjust to make this work.
Help me out please :love: .

Yes, this is called 'Optimus Technology' developed by nVidia, where your main graphics card is the integrated one and it works together with nVidia dedicated/discrete graphics card to deliver great performance but still save battery live. It's basic, the nVidia one is powerful and the Integrated one is not. But the nVidia one is power hungry and quickly put down battery very quick, where the integrated one does not. So what nVidia do is, when you are gaming, they automatically switch to use the nVidia so the performance is high. When not gaming, you turn of the nVidia one and switch back to the integrated graphics. But this does not work when you don't set it up yet. Don't worry, it's not hard and does not require change on hardware, only software. The first thing to do is, go to your nVidia driver by right clicking on your desktop and choose 'nVidia control panel'. If you can't find it go and download the driver. After you are at the control panel of nVidia, in the left side of that window there is 'Manage 3D settings' Under the 'Select a Task'. Click on that and you see in the other part there is a 'global settings' tab and 'program settings'. Go to the global one and in the 'preferred graphics processor' choose 'High Performance nVidia Processor'. You should then have the optimus technology when you choose apply. The 'program settings' in the other hand is to choose what graphics card you want to use for each program of your preference. So you choose on your program and select your preferred graphic card there.

P.S. Some programs are sadly not supported by the Optimus graphic card, so which means that the program will still run in the main graphics (which is the integrated graphics) and you still have the integrated performance. To get rid of this issue you must to contact your nearest ASUS service to disable the optimus technology.

Sorry for grammar mistakes.............

Status
Not open for further replies.