Switching out core pc components. Will my HDD be wiped?

TheNewBie332

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
Hi all, I'm upgrading my CUP, RAM, and mobo, from:
Intel i5 4690k
32 GB DDR3
AsRock z97 FATALITY

to:

AMD Ryzen 2700x
16BG DDR4
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS

I have an OEM version of windows activated, so I know once I install these new parts that I'd have to buy a new key, but I have a lot of data on my HDD that I don't want lost. Would there be a way to keep the data, or will I have to re-install windows completely wiping the drive?
Thanks.

Solution
The data will still be there,
if the chipset is too different you will get BSOD on boot or might work, you need to test.
If you have a home version of windows, you will need to buy a new license as it will not activate.
If you have a pro or utlimate, it should activate as long as it is not used on the previous computer.
The data will still be there; but it is recommended to backup the data to an external (or other) drive that way you can format and perform a clean install of Windows. Some hardware may not function properly unless you reinstall Windows on the new system.

The data will still be there,
if the chipset is too different you will get BSOD on boot or might work, you need to test.
If you have a home version of windows, you will need to buy a new license as it will not activate.
If you have a pro or utlimate, it should activate as long as it is not used on the previous computer.

Solution

Latest posts