switching PC from router to modem

gator957

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
I have a Linksys router hooked up to my Centurylink Modem . My PC is currently connected to the interent through the router and when I try to move it to the modem I get the little or no connectivity error message and can not connect to interent . I have unplugged modem , turned computer off moved ethernet cable from router to modem turned modem and computer back on but still get the same message . I still have router hooked to modem because I have other things hooked up to it but just for fun I had also completly unhooked router from modem just to see if I could connect to modem When I run the ipconfig/all from the command prompt it still keeps the default gateway from the router even though I have the obtain obtain IP address and DNS server automatically . When I try to ping from a command prompt I do not get return packets When I manually put in the IP address ,Subnet ,IP address and default gateway from Centurylink instead of letting it obatin automatically it will connect according to the LAN data but I still can not get to internet . When I ping the IP from the command prompt I get the return packets like it is connected but still can not get to the interent . Once I move the ethernet cable back to the router I have a connection and am back on the internet . I am trying to get rid of my router and hook all connections to the DSL modem but am not able to . Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

You would need to set up a completely new connection if you want to remain connected directly to the MODEM but you will, of course, be totally isolated in the network of which the router forms the hub.

gator957

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Saga Lout - Thanks for getting back with me . Not sure if I understand though ? The modem I had was a modem with only one port for a connection to a router to form my hub . Now that I have gotten a newer modem with several ports on the back and wireless I am trying to eliminate the modem but the PC seems to want to remember the modem's default gateway even when I remove the modem

First, make sure the PC cable isn't connected to the MODEM's uplink port - the one that connects to the router and might be a blue socket. Then, press the Windows key and R together and type in the Open box
cmd /k ipconfig /all
including all the spaces. Right click anywhere in the black form that shows up and choose Select All then press Control and C together. To paste all that information back here, open a Post an Answer box and press Control and V so we can see what's going on in there.