Switching power supply

jr

Bought an ATX 350w power supply and it is labeled as a switching power
supply. I installed it and the mainboard gets power as the green led is lit
on it, but the machine will not power up. Is there a difference between a
switching power supply and a normal power supply?

Jr wrote:

> Bought an ATX 350w power supply and it is labeled as a switching power
> supply. I installed it and the mainboard gets power as the green led is lit
> on it, but the machine will not power up. Is there a difference between a
> switching power supply and a normal power supply?

Any power supply you buy these days is a switching power supply. It
just describes how the transistors in the PSU switch on and off at a
high frequency to help regulate the power.

-WD

"Jr" <jarsil@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bought an ATX 350w power supply and it is labeled as a switching power
> supply. I installed it and the mainboard gets power as the green led is
lit
> on it, but the machine will not power up. Is there a difference between a
> switching power supply and a normal power supply?

Most all PC supplies are the switching type. The ATX supply is "on" all
the time. Actually it is sort of standby such as the remote controlled TV
sets are. There is enough of it on to turn on the light on the motherboard.
To turn the supply fully on you usually have to connect the "power " switch
on the front of the computer to the motherboard and press it. You may have
to hook up a hard drive to put enough load on it so it will start.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:29:41 -0500, "Jr" <jarsil@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Bought an ATX 350w power supply and it is labeled as a switching power
>supply. I installed it and the mainboard gets power as the green led is lit
>on it, but the machine will not power up. Is there a difference between a
>switching power supply and a normal power supply?

What brand?

All PC power supplies are the switching type. Most often they
simply didn't have much good to put on the label of a generic
when it lists that fact. If it is a generic power supply it may
easily (probably) not be worth 350W, some look poor compared to
235W power supplies and often do not have sufficient capacity to
run a modern system.

Check the voltage input switch on the back, that it's set
appropriate to your location's AC voltage.

jr

Thanks to all who replied, it was a bad one, took it back to the store and
they tested it and it was dead.