Question Switching RAM slots

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
I tried to move my RAM to different slots. I moved it from 1 and 2 to 2 and 4, but my PC wouldnt boot properly afterwards, so i turned it off and switched back to 1 and 2 and booted into safe mode. Do I have to disable XMP before switching out RAM or moving the RAM to different sockets?

Correct placement is either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, check the owners manual of your motherboard.
Placing the ram side by side will lower performance as the ram is forced into single channel.

You dont have to disable XMP, to change ram, but some boards may be picky and may want CMOS cleared if ram is moved around or changed.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Correct placement is either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, check the owners manual of your motherboard.
Placing the ram side by side will lower performance as the ram is forced into single channel.

You dont have to disable XMP, to change ram, but some boards may be picky and may want CMOS cleared if ram is moved around or changed.
My motherboards CMOS battery is behind my graphics card, which i dont really want to remove unless I've tried everything else.

christofferskr

Reputable
Dec 19, 2019
Ram may not be on qvl, which could be a problem even if it works.

I suspect your board may have a bent socket pin or dead mem channel of ram slots 3 and 4 are dead.
I checked it out and I couldnt see anything bent.

I just found out that the memory sticks was bought seperatly. They're the same 8gb sticks.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5P7660?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
I dont know if it matters though, I just thought I should mention it. I thought maybe thats why it only works in single channel?