Switching ram sticks around and now DRAM Led is on

LudinK

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
So my friend upgraded his entire build and gave me 2x4 GB ram sticks. I already have a 8GB ram stick and decided i would put the other 8GB in too. When i tried turning it on the DRAM LED went on and nothing would show in the monitor. I tried just the 2 new ram sticks and still the same thing. Then i tried my original 8GB only and it worked. I thought maybe i didnt put it in right the other time so i tried once again and the DRAM LED went on again however now no matter which ram i try, the DRAM LED goes on and nothing shows on my monitor. I have asus sabertooth 990fx 2.0 and tried the MemOK button but that didn't do anything.

Solution
Try resetting the CMOS, install the older 1x8GB in slot 1, go into BIOS and set it up correctly to 1600/11, then move to DRAM voltage and set to 1.56, next change CPU/NB voltage to 1.2, save, exit shutdown, then install the other 2 sticks in slots 3-4, start it up and give it a try

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Try resetting the CMOS, install the older 1x8GB in slot 1, go into BIOS and set it up correctly to 1600/11, then move to DRAM voltage and set to 1.56, next change CPU/NB voltage to 1.2, save, exit shutdown, then install the other 2 sticks in slots 3-4, start it up and give it a try

Solution

LudinK

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
So i unplugged the power cord, removed the battery and then switched the 1-2 pin to 2-3 for 10 seconds, then placed the battery back in and put the ram stick back in. Now when i try turning the computer on the DRAM LED is no longer on but the CPU LED is on now. still nothing reaching the monitor either.

LudinK

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
While trying to trouble shoot i took the 24 pin power cord out and didnt put it in properly last night, ended up working after i did what you said and put that in properly too. thanks a bunch!