Switching Sata500gb drive-sata1TB......incompatible?

Eustace Martin

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hello I Have a western digital sata drive (500gb)here that got corrrupted, so I went and got a new one which was 1tb sata, I only managed to get halfway through the installation of xp when it decided to stop....upon reboot i get that uncanny message error loading operating system... the backup drive works fine..except that i cannot access the user account...somehow password got corrupted. My IT budd thinks it might be the motherboard that's no good.

One thing to note is i did not do the f6 protocol for sata drives upon installation...can that cause corruption of a drive?
Computer is an old old compaq evo....atleast 8 yrs?

Could be the board or a bad ram stick. Try installing with just one ram stick. I would ditch the old compaq board anyway; the caps are probably shot by now. Alot of those boards won't install windows due to bad caps. I know first hand.

Eustace Martin

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

so if the caps are blown is there something i will see physically right on spot to tell me....i really would hate to just toss it. I like to try to fix things I have no professional knowledge on how to fix...The bios see's the drive1TB but will no longer allow me to install windows xp...giving error fail to load OS. I will try the ram thing, but i want to know if theres a way around it w.o having to replace any parts.