Question Switching/Testing RAM slots (CPU cooler Un-Mount) do i need to apply thermal paste EVERY TIME...?

thomas81br

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Hello

I will be probably doing an upgrade of RAM (adding additional 2 sticks of RAM to my already existing (6years old)) two sticks of RAM (for 4 sticks of RAM in total) on my 6 year old PC + maybe (very probably) i will also be upgrading the CPU (from Ryzen 1700 to Ryzen 5950x) (while keeping the same old Motheboard) I have 6 year old motherboard. I will have to update BIOS.

I have a BIG AIR cooler (Scythe Ninja 4), that blocks AT LEAST one ram slot ("Blocks" meaning i have to take the cooler (heatsink, not just fan) off to acces this slot and to place or remove a RAM stick (which is already in)). It Might "block" the 2nd ram slot too... Im not sure now, have to test it.

The catch is - im expecting problems... Im expecting (maybe) that i will have problems with the RAM, and that i will have to try different combinations of the RAM (in different slots, just 2 Old sticks, just 2 new sticks, all 4 sticks together, in different slots etc...) Im expecting having problems and to having to switch the placement of the RAM sticks. Also im not exactly sure the new 5950x will work on my old motherboard even with the new bios (it should accordind to internet, but still).... So... in light of all of this, im expecting sadly, that i will have to put the cpu cooler (heatsink) on and off several times...

My question is - i assume, it is NOT safe to test the PC without the CPU cooler (heatsink) completely OFF...?) By testing i mean just accesing BIOS more or less and looking if it accepts the CPU... Maybe boot into windows. By Testing i do NOT mean some heavy stress testing by some applications in windows. I assume, leaving the heatsink OFF the CPU is completely off the table, i should NOT do it, and CPU wouldnt really survive it even in bios or boot to windows, correct?

BUT can i put the heatsink (and FAN) on the CPU at least WITHOUT applying the thermal paste every singl time...? This could be done right? The CPU wont damage or overheat without thermal paste just "fiddling around" in BIOS or Windows (no stress testing)...? Correct, can i do it? Run it without ANY thermal paste at all?

(If i would have to apply THERMAL PASTE every f.... time i try to POST, ram slot placement etc. i will... be very SAD :-(.

Can i do this without thermal paste...? (just for the "compatability testing", if i see that everything runs, functions and "plays together", i will of course apply thermal paste in the end for a long term use.

(And isnt there some way to do this even without the heatsink on CPU...? My Cooler Scythe Ninja 4 AFAIK doesnt have the easiest instalation, so if i could avoid deadling with the screws in every test it would be even easier...?)

Ralston18

Titan
Do not run without thermal paste. At best there would be an immediate thermal shutdown and the system would not start. At worst: melting, burning, etc..

However, to go back a bit: "I have a BIG AIR cooler (Scythe Ninja 4) ".

And likewise: "My Cooler Scythe Ninja 4 AFAIK doesnt have the easiest instalation," ....etc..

What is/are the driving requirement(s) for that cooler?

With two immediate problems (blocking RAM slots and difficult installation) who knows what else may become a related problem.

I suggest reconsidering the use of that cooler.

Pros versus cons approach. Right now the cons seem to be winning.

I always clean a CPU off and apply new thermal paste every time I remove the cooler. Thermal paste isn't expensive and it's just not worth risking anything bad happening to your CPU. Remember that the thermal paste you apply may be there for years to come so you may as well just do it right every time.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

thomas81br

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Do not run without thermal paste. At best there would be an immediate thermal shutdown and the system would not start. At worst: melting, burning, etc..

However, to go back a bit: "I have a BIG AIR cooler (Scythe Ninja 4) ".

And likewise: "My Cooler Scythe Ninja 4 AFAIK doesnt have the easiest instalation," ....etc..

What is/are the driving requirement(s) for that cooler?

With two immediate problems (blocking RAM slots and difficult installation) who knows what else may become a related problem.

I suggest reconsidering the use of that cooler.

Pros versus cons approach. Right now the cons seem to be winning.
well... i ALREADY have that cooler... thats the reason :)...

thomas81br

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Well im not really worrying about the 5950x part, im worrying about the rams. Like that PC wont really even start etc. (i had some problems with RAM in the past) and that i will have to try "every possible ram" configuration (new+old, duo, solo, every slot etc.) and i just dont want to paste everytime.

Thanks for confirming i really dont have to for this...

I will probably just "use" the old paste (6years old) that is currently on the CPU for the ram testing ("testing" - meanign will it even POST (or really even turn on)) with the ram... That will ensure that there is at least SOME paste "somewhat around" there... And when i find out what configuration of ram works ok, i will just take the heatsink off for the last/final time, clean it (and the CPU) and finally apply the new thermal paste.

thomas81br

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
I just got additional idea - do i have to screw the Heatsing in really just for a quick "test" to see if the system POSTs with the ram...? Its a big heatsink, should/is heavy... the PC will be in "lying down" position... Cant I just the the heatsink (with the old thermal paste) on the CPU (without screwing it in)...? It should be ok for just a POST test or quick check of BIOS...? (or Am i wrong...?)

Ralston18

Titan
Not okay.

The installation and configuration should be exactly as provided by the manufacturer's documentation.

There is no "quick test" as I understand it all and what you are considering could be deemed improper installation.

Thus voiding any warranties at best.... Actual damage being a real risk.

Do proper testing: install and configure per the documentation.

Use new paste (not 6 year old paste) per @Avro Arrow

Have the PC in the proper operating position.

I understand wanting to use the cooler because you have it....

However, there will always be ongoing problems as a result. Whether or not some tests are "successful" or appear successful.

After reading back - mixing and matching RAM (old sticks, new sticks) is problematic.

Think about the requirements: For the most part, 32 GB RAM (2 x 16GB matched kit dual channel) will be more than sufficient.

Check the motherboard's documentation. What memory and memory slot configurations are supported?

You may be able to use two slots that will not be interferred with by the cooler.

Sometimes RAM sticks work together without problems, sometimes they will not work at all.

Worst case is when they sort of work and continually do so but with intermittent problems.

All that you are thinking of doing is just going to set things up for continuing problems: including damaged components.

Look for other options. Begin with the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Not okay.

The installation and configuration should be exactly as provided by the manufacturer's documentation.

There is no "quick test" as I understand it all and what you are considering could be deemed improper installation.

Thus voiding any warranties at best.... Actual damage being a real risk.

Do proper testing: install and configure per the documentation.

Use new paste (not 6 year old paste) per @Avro Arrow

Have the PC in the proper operating position.

I understand wanting to use the cooler because you have it....

However, there will always be ongoing problems as a result. Whether or not some tests are "successful" or appear successful.

After reading back - mixing and matching RAM (old sticks, new sticks) is problematic.

Think about the requirements: For the most part, 32 GB RAM (2 x 16GB matched kit dual channel) will be more than sufficient.

Check the motherboard's documentation. What memory and memory slot configurations are supported?

You may be able to use two slots that will not be interferred with by the cooler.

Sometimes RAM sticks work together without problems, sometimes they will not work at all.

Worst case is when they sort of work and continually do so but with intermittent problems.

All that you are thinking of doing is just going to set things up for continuing problems: including damaged components.

Look for other options. Begin with the motherboard's User Guide/Manual.
Everything you said is 100% on-point and I couldn't agree more. :D(y)