[SOLVED] Switching to 240V outlet fried MB?

Apr 5, 2021
Quick question, I had my pc working fine on a 110v standard outlet, decided to rewire everything and use a new 240V outlet but now I can't get a post. Not even into bios. Only factors I changed was outlet and rewiring.
I have a EVGA supernova 850W.
I have tried everything in the book to get a display to show but nothing. Tried onboard graphics(2200g), dedicated gpu, new ram, new psu, removed cmos overnight, booted with one stick of ram. Only thing left is to try a new CPU and MB. The MB lights up and everything. Using a Asus b450-f. Before the onboard LEDs would show red-> yellow-> white and green but now it's red->yellow-red-yellow and then nothing. The leds should stay on if a problem arises.

Question is...when powering your pc with 240v is there something I'm suppose to do? My psu is rated for 240v. Currently using a TripleLite PDU with TripleLite c13 to c14 power cord

Edit: I have tried switching back to 110v outlet. No display still

Last edited:
Solution
Not in the US. Standard home wiring in 110/120V. 220/240V is common elsewhere. Not here.
Not an US resident but i think new homes do come with a three-point transformer with allows to have 220V.
Your PDU may not support 240. They are usually voltage specific.
They're completely passive, no way 110V PDU doesn't support 220V per se but plugs will be different and breakers will be rated twice as high, that's why it wouldn't technically 'support' it.
Does anyone think I need to ground something somewhere?
It should work without grounding just fine, you'll 'just' lose surge protection functionality.
You could've fried/damaged the PSU by only switching it to 110V mains if it's 230V...

kanewolf

Titan
Quick question, I had my pc working fine on a 110v standard outlet, decided to rewire everything and use a new 240V outlet but now I can't get a post. Not even into bios. Only factors I changed was outlet and rewiring.
I have tried everything in the book to get a display to show but nothing. Tried onboard graphics(2200g), dedicated gpu, new ram, new psu, removed cmos overnight, booted with one stick of ram. Only thing left is to try a new CPU and MB. The MB lights up and everything. Using a Asus b450-f. Before the onboard LEDs would show red-> yellow-> white and green but now it's red->yellow-red-yellow and then nothing. The leds should stay on if a problem arises.

Question is...when powering your pc with 240v is there something I'm suppose to do? My psu is rated for 240v. Currently using a TripleLite PDU with TripleLite c13 to c14 power cords.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Apr 5, 2021
Currently, my basement is powered by one breaker. However I work from home with a lot of tech and have other personal stuff down here as well. I'm already drawing 11amps out of the 15 amp breaker without my gaming pc. So my electrician suggested a PDU setup. I had a new 30amp 240v outlet installed and went to plug my pc into the new outlet using the pdu and c13-c14 outlet. No disppay. Changed it back to 110v outlet and still no display.

Apr 5, 2021
Your electrician should have put in another 110 branch, instead of 240.

I have a small server rack which is why he suggested a new breaker + 240V outlet. I guess he was thinking long term because I do plan on getting more servers installed. My other option is to unplug stuff off the single 15amp breaker when I game. I have tripped the breaker twice already.

Still doesn't solve my system not showing any display though.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
The PSU is definitely rated for 240V, my question here would be... what kind of outlet is it?

AFAIK 240V outlets in the US are different than in Europe, the americans use 2 live wires whereas the europeans/rest of the world only uses one.

Apr 5, 2021
The PSU is definitely rated for 240V, my question here would be... what kind of outlet is it?

AFAIK 240V outlets in the US are different than in Europe, the americans use 2 live wires whereas the europeans/rest of the world only uses one.

The actual outlet is L6-30. The PDU plugs into it, which I then use c14-c13 cords to connect the PSU to the PDU. I have another pc I can use to test it out but I'm scared of breaking another pc.

It makes no sense because the cords, pdu and psu are all rated 100-240V.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
The actual outlet is L6-30. The PDU plugs into it, which I then use c14-c13 cords to connect the PSU to the PDU. I have another pc I can use to test it out but I'm scared of breaking another pc.

It makes no sense because the cords, pdu and psu are all rated 100-240V.
The PSU is rated for 240V but it's ready for 1 hot wire, 1 neutral and (optional) 1 ground, I did a quick search and the L6-30 outlet has 2 hot wires and 1 neutral with no ground. If the PDU's output is the same as the outlet then the PSU won't work as it should.
Should be easy to check with a multimeter if you have one.

Other than that it could be a bad mobo.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Start with a simple CMOS clear. I'm guessing you know how to do this, but if not: remove the power cord from the PSU, remove the CMOS battery and wait 30 seconds to a minute, put the battery back in and try again.

Sometimes power surges may mess up with the BIOS settings.

Apr 5, 2021
The PSU is rated for 240V but it's ready for 1 hot wire, 1 neutral and (optional) 1 ground, I did a quick search and the L6-30 outlet has 2 hot wires and 1 neutral with no ground. If the PDU's output is the same as the outlet then the PSU won't work as it should.
Should be easy to check with a multimeter if you have one.

Other than that it could be a bad mobo.

The TripleLite has multiple inbuilt 8AMP breakers. The outlet's breaker is 30AMPS. I'm buying new parts today so I'll see. Hopefully I don't fry another MB. I'd assume it's a bad motherboard but the fact I had it working om a 110V outlet suggests something else.
Start with a simple CMOS clear. I'm guessing you know how to do this, but if not: remove the power cord from the PSU, remove the CMOS battery and wait 30 seconds to a minute, put the battery back in and try again.

Sometimes power surges may mess up with the BIOS settings.

Yeah tried that already, removed CMOS battery overnight.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Not in the US. Standard home wiring in 110/120V. 220/240V is common elsewhere. Not here.
Not an US resident but i think new homes do come with a three-point transformer with allows to have 220V.
They're completely passive, no way 110V PDU doesn't support 220V per se but plugs will be different and breakers will be rated twice as high, that's why it wouldn't technically 'support' it.
Does anyone think I need to ground something somewhere?
It should work without grounding just fine, you'll 'just' lose surge protection functionality.
You could've fried/damaged the PSU by only switching it to 110V mains if it's 230V only, not plugging a full-range PSU (which all EVGA Supernovas i'm aware are) into 230V outlet. So i'm going to assume that this has nothing to do with the fact that you've plugged the PSU in the different outlet, that's just a coincidence.
but now it's red->yellow-red-yellow and then nothing.
You can start with pulling up the manual for it and looking up what that means.

Solution