Switching to AMD from Intel

Feb 6, 2019
Hi im looking into getting a ryzen 2700 to replace my i7 7700 due to some performance issues im having with rainbow six siege. The thing is i currently have 3 sticks (4th stick died on me) of DDR4 2133MHz ram to make a total of 12GB. I have heard that Ryzen prefers higher speed ram and i have read and watched many videos to make that statement true. Unfortunately because i have one of the slowest speeds what will the performance difference be from the the higher speed ram if i was to get the 2700?

My issue with rainbow six siege (not been tested on other games as i dont play anything else) is that my GPU keeps maxing out making it impossible for me to screen record anything due to me using the nvidia NVENC encoder. I know that it sounds like a GPU issue and possibly could be but my CPU also maxes out quite frequently. I've reinstalled windows, switching off intel turbo boost (recommenced by another forum), tried old drivers and tried fresh installing drivers and nothing has helped.

Ive also run benchmarks on my GPU to check that it is performing like all others that have bench marked the same GPU.

My specs are i7 7700, GTX 1070 and i play on a 144Hz monitor and my game has all low settings on to reach that 144Hz mark.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

I have just played a few more games on siege and it appears my CPU is maxing out today and whenever i use google chrome or something as well as play my game chrome will crash.

running 3 sticks of RAM are going to limit your RAM access modes to single channel...; most recommend either two or four sticks for this reason...

The 7700 is clocked some 600 MHz lower turbo speed than the 7700K, and, naturally it's 4c/8t architecture does OK on games alone, but, struggles for thread count when other tasks such as streaming/recording, etc., are added to the load...; I'd suspect that 144 fps are a struggle sometimes as well, depending on the game.

The R5-2600X is popular, as it's 6c/12t design offer plenty of threads, but, certainly the 2700X is also great, and not overly expensive.

Feb 6, 2019
if you are going to switch to ryzen I recommend the r7 1700 or 1700x and oc to around 4ghz
and for ram I would upgrade to 16gb of 3000mhz or at the vary least get a 4th stick

Feb 6, 2019

How much difference is there in 2700 and the 2700x if i do a bit of overclocking to get it to about the same speed.

You would want to get a good aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock. AMD's XFR allows Ryzen CPUs to auto-overclock when cooling is sufficient. With a good aftermarket cooler, you should be able to get the 2700 to perform very similar to the 2700X. A good aftermarket cooler allows the 2700X to perform a little better also.

Feb 6, 2019

Okay thank you very much. Could you suggest me a cheap cooler please off of the website scan.co.uk?

Feb 6, 2019

If my Cpu is being stupid is this why my GPU is maxed out?

You would need a new motherboard to switch to an AMD processor. And AMD CPUs tend to be a bit more sensitive to slower RAM, so it probably wouldn't be worth it. You might even get lower performance in the game then you are now.

The 7700 can actually boost to within 0.3 to 0.4 GHz of the 7700K depending on how many cores are active, so the difference should be within 10%, at least at stock clocks. The 0.6 GHz difference would be on base clocks, though that shouldn't matter under normal operation, unless either the CPU is overheating, or you manually disabled turbo boost. On that note, turbo boost should absolutely be re-enabled, as disabling that is effectively cutting your CPU down to 3.6GHz from the 4+GHz it would normally be boosting to, effectively making things worse. I don't see how disabling that would help, unless you were having significant overheating issues.

I agree that the odd number of RAM sticks might be hurting your performance though. I've seen some benchmarks showing that using 3 sticks for 12GB can potentially perform worse than just using 8GB.

No, if you have a good CPU then your GPU will be maxed out. That's the way you want a gaming PC to run, maxed out GPU with some CPU room leftover. What exactly are you experiencing that makes you think a Ryzen 7 will benefit you? Because the i7-7700 is probably faster at a game like Rainbow Six Siege.

Feb 6, 2019

I agree with the 12GB issue. I also know i need to change my motherboard and i disabled turbo boost temporarily because of a bug the game had a while back with the cpu overloading when turbo boost was active. I am also not looking for extra speed im looking to take the load off my processor and Graphics card which is currently being throttled by the CPU

Feb 6, 2019

Ive said in my post my cpu is maxed out also.