[SOLVED] Switching to anything higher than 60 hz refresh rate causes intermittent screen blackouts

Dec 13, 2020
Windows Version 8.1

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE (rated up to 1920x1080, 144hz)
Monitor Ports: HDMI v1.4 x 1, DisplayPort v1.2 x 1, DVI (Dual-Link) x 1

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 970M (Laptop. Drivers are current)
Ports: VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort Mini

I am aware of this monitor's inability to display higher than 60hz for it's HDMI port, so I figured my best option would be a DisplayPort to DisplayPort Mini cable.

My resolution is set to 1920x1080. Whenever I switch the refresh rate from 60hz to 120hz or 144hz (same results for both the Windows Screen Resolution advanced options window and the Nvidia control panel), the screen blacks out, comes back for 4-5 seconds (during which time the mouse is clearly moving at a higher framerate), but then blacks out every 3 seconds or so. It comes back for 1-3 seconds and then blacks out again. Rinse and repeat until I lower the refresh rate back down to 60hz.

To my knowledge, a 970M graphics card should have no issues displaying higher refresh rates. I'm at a loss for what I am doing wrong and would greatly appreciate any guidance you all might be able to offer.

Thank you all for your time!

Solution
I figured it out. Turns out I had a gen 1 crappy Displayport to Displayport Mini cable. (Insignia by Best Buy, go figure) I bought a new one and made the switch. 144hz works just fine now.
Dec 13, 2020
I figured it out. Turns out I had a gen 1 crappy Displayport to Displayport Mini cable. (Insignia by Best Buy, go figure) I bought a new one and made the switch. 144hz works just fine now.

Solution